2. President of Costa Rica Laura Chinchilla is Costa Ricas first female President, she assumed office on May 8, 2010
3. Costa Rican Flag The Costa Rican flag was adopted in November 27, 1906. The first lady, Pacifica Fernandez Oriamuno designed the flag in 1848. The color blue: the sky The color white: clear thinking The color red: the warmth of the Costa Rican people and the blood shed for freedom.
4. Coat of Arms The Coat of Arms was adopted September 29, 1848. The stars symbolizes the seven provinces of the country Volcanoes represent the three mountain ranges in the country The extensive valley between two oceans represent the Pacific ocean and Caribbean The merchant ship represent the maritime history of the country The golden frame represents the golden bead which is the coffee.
5. Butterfly Linnaeus butterfly of Costa Rica
6. Hummingbird The Costa Rican Colibr
7. Map of Costa Rica
8. Currency 1 U.S. dollar =510.60 Costa Rican colons
9. The Peace Pilgrim Statue of the Peace Pilgrim, by Costa Rican sculptor Fernando Calvo
10. Juan Santamaria Juan Santamaria is Costa Ricas national hero, he defended Costa Ricas territory in the Civil War against the filibusters in Nicaragua on April 11, 1856.
11. The National Theater The National Theater opened to the public on October 21, 1897 one of the most accomplished architectural structures in Costa Rica.
12. References Costa Rica. (2011). Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved on October 10, 2011 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rica