2. 1. Quietly passing through Galilee, Jesus and His disciples came to Capernaum
- On the way, Jesus foretold His suffering a death a second time
- b. Also on the way, the disciples disputed who would be the greatest
3. 2. Jesus took this opportunity to teach His disciples the way to true greatness...
- a.A way involving servitude
- b.A way involving humility
- 1. "If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all." -Mk 9:35
- 2. Greatness in Christ's kingdom is different than kingdoms of men
- Serve others in evangelism
- a.Someone led you to Christ, can you not lead another to Him? -Jn 1:35-42
- b.Begin by being hospitable, offering acts of kindness and service
- c.At the very least:invite to services, offer a Bible
- d.Open your home to host lifegroups for winning and consolidation
- e.Hone your skills in personal evangelism, seek to improve your ability to share the gospel
- 2. Serve others in edification
- a.Many have contributed to your spiritual growth, can you help others? -Ep 4:16
- b. Begin by being present at every service, greeting every one present.
- c.Take special interest in those who are new, encourage them
- d. Offer to teach the children, even if only to assist another teacher
- e.Volunteer whatever service you can render in the work and worship of the church
- 3.Serve others in benevolence
- a.Has anyone ever showed you kindness? "Be kind to one another" -Ep 4:32
- b.Visit the sick or elderly, at home and in the hospital
- c.Render service such as cleaning the home, cleaning the car, errands, etc.
- d.Minister to the poor, the hungry, or those otherwise in need
10. 11. A. IMPORTANCE OF HUMILITY...
- Jesus used a little child to teach the importance of humility -Mk 9:36-37
- 2.The humility of small children provides an example for us - cf.Mt 18:1-4
- 3.Like servitude, humility is a cardinal virtue in the kingdom - cf.1Pe 5:5
- 4.When we humbly receive others in Jesus' name, we receive both Him and His Father in heaven -Mk 9:37
12. B. EXAMPLES OF HUMILITY...
- 1.In the area of evangelism
- a.Be open to opportunities to learn how to do personal work
- b.Ask others if you can accompany them as they teach others
- c.Reach out to those who are different than you
- d.Especially those less fortunate than you - cf.Jm 2:5
- 2. In the area of edification
- a.Gladly accept subservient roles in teaching, preaching, worship
- b.Encourage and assist those who teach our children
- c.Warmly welcome those below or above your "social status" -Jm 2:1-4
- d.Help with mundane tasks
B. EXAMPLES OF HUMILITY... 14.
- 3. In the area of benevolence
- a.Help those less fortunate than you
- b.Perform menial tasks where needed
- c.Offer to babysit, provide meals, help with expenses, etc.
B. EXAMPLES OF HUMILITY... 15. CONCLUSION
- 1. It may not seem like much, but the way to greatness is not possible without...
- a. A servant heart and servant hand
- b. A humble heart and humble hand
- 2. Jesus proved the greatness of service and humility by His own example
- a. Coming to this earth in the form of a servant -Php 2:5-7
- b. Humbling Himself to the point of death on the cross -Php 2:8
- c. Thereby being highly exalted by God -Php 2:9-11
- For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." -Lk 14:11
- If we desire to be great in the kingdom of God, let us humbly serve one another and those in the world...