- 10 Things About California Car Accidents
10 Things About California Car Accidents
- 1. Top 10 Things You Should Know About Car Accidents In California Little things that can save you money and your life.
- 2. According to the Los Angeles Police Department, there are about 20,000 car accidents being reported every year.
- 3. Whether you live in the rural or urban area, keep these tips in mind the next time youre on the road -
- 4. they might just save you more than your insurance premium.
- 5. #1: AFTER an accident, use your phones camera to take vital pictures. This will be necessary for filing a claim later on.
- 6. If you cant move or get out of your car, fasten your seatbelt and just turn on your hazard lights.
- 7. #2 Get the name, address, phone number, auto insurance company and policy number of the other driver
- 8. as well as the license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make, model and color of the vehicle.
- 9. #3 Report the incident to your insurance agency within 24 hours (unless you dont want to file a claim).
- 10. Some insurance carriers will increase your premium even for minor, non-fatal accidents!
- 11. #4 NEVER admit fault or say youre sorry even if you think you are responsible.
- 12. Let the police and/or your insurance agency pinpoint the fault. Focus on getting treatment for your injuries instead.
- 13. #5 Although regulations vary, you can file for a car accident claim even WITHOUT a police report.
- 14. However, a police report will be important in helping to identify who is really at fault. Confirm this with your agency today.
- 15. #6 SAVE all documents relating to your accident, such as receipts from medication, doctor recommendations, etc.
- 16. If you cant report to work, ask your employer for proof of your time off, plus how much wage you lost.
- 17. #7 ALL car accidents in California are required to submit a written report to the California Highway Patrol within 24 hours.
- 18. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment, or by a fine of up to $1,000, or both.
- 19. #8 Insurance companies wont know about minor car accidents WITHOUT a police report or a claim.
- 20. If it was a minor car accident, you can choose to repair the damage out of your own pocket instead of risking your premium.
- 21. #9 Do NOT drive away if you hit a parked car even if it was just a fender bender.
- 22. Doing so is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $ 1,000 or 6 months in prison. Leave a note to the driver before going away.
- 23. #10 Hit-and-run incidents could stay on your driving record for five to seven years.
- 24. Hitting ANY property like mailboxes, another car, or your neighbors dog must be settled otherwise, it could escalate into a hit-and-run case.
- 25. Ignorance of car accident laws often have expensive consequences.
- 26. Know the LAW. Protect yourself. Contact a California Car Accident attorney today.