1. Ask a librarian. Ask a student representative for help. Schedule a training with a vendor representative. Live online chat/call for help 24 hours a day. Use the dedicated phones in the training lab.
2. Unofficial: Includes additional editorial content Official: Must be cited for court documents The TEXT of the cases in both versions are identical.
3. So are indexes and TOCs! Indexes translate a question into a citation. TOC allows you to browse if you have a general topic in mind.
4. 1. Some states designate these as their official reporter. 2. If it has a region in the reporter name it is a state reporter not a federal one.
5. Headnotes in West publications Appear at the beginning of each opinion Help identify the issue(s) Include Key Numbers West Key Numbers represent specific legal concepts. Topic Number - representing specific legal concepts. Lexis Uses similar organization under the Browse Topics function.
6. Mandatory / Persuasive Authority Chart at http://lawguides.rwu.edu/usresearch.
7. Lexis, Westlaw, and Bloomberg Law all have certification programs. So does the library! For more information, check out our Prepare for Practice program at http://lawguides.rwu.ed u/prepareforpractice
8. Call us at (401) 254-4547 Email us at LawLibraryHelp@rwu.edu Stop by the reference desk Chat with us at http://lawguides.rwu.edu/ AskaLibrarian