Teaching Practice - Literacy and Learning 2.0
An overview of some thoughts on effective teaching practice with a focus on literacy, emerging technologies and the needs of current and future millennial learners.
- 1. Effective Classroom Practice Enhancing Learning with Consistent, Explicit and Systematic TeachingApproaches and Strategies Insights for teachers created January 2006 for a high school development day. Under review 9/2007Literacy and Learning 2.0
2. Purpose of this slideshow
3. Descriptions by Year 8 students A good teacher ... 4. Apology: Not my own work but from education source The bigger picture. Essentials for high performance. How do we translate these into classroom practice? 5. Research on Teacher Effectiveness - Hay McBer June 2002 6. Vision Values Mission Purpose Beliefs Putting shared commitments and beliefs into practice in all aspects of school life Commitments Shared ... Challenge 7. Literacy Skills- Listening & Speaking ? attention presentation interpretation Plenty more reflection inspiration processing empathy 8. Before, During, After SQ3R Vocabulary - build the field Model for Literacy Learning Thinking skills Reading comprehension strategies Three Level Guide Prior knowledge Phonemic Awareness Literacy Skills - Reading 9. Literacy Skills - Writing Prewrite Draft Conference Edit Publish Proofread Spelling Grammar Text Level Features Sentence Level Features Text Types Which are relevant to your subject? Word Level Features Scaffolding Process 10. Numeracy - Basic Skill Number sense Spatial sense Data sense Numeracyis the ability to effectively use the mathematics required to meet the general demands of life at home and at work,and for participation in community and civic life.Numeracyincorporates the disposition to use numerical, spatial, graphical, statistical and algebraic concepts and skills in a variety of contexts and involves the interpretation,application and communication of mathematical information in a range of practical situations. Pattern sense Measurement sense 11. ICTs &Technological Literacy Information Skills Basic Applications Internet searching Telecommunications applications Critical Literacy Visual Literacy Digital Divide Infoglut Knowledge economy Digital literacy Interactive multimedia Webquests Blogs Podcasts Wikis mlearning PDAs Interactive whiteboards TaLE Social networking tagging 12. My mouth is ringing: Inventors create telephone tooth. Mobile Molar What the future holds. convergence miniaturisation anywhere and anytime 13. What is your vision of learning? What are your beliefs about learning? How do you create effective learning environments? What are the most effective classroom practices for powerful learning? The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearnand relearn.Alvin Toffler ? What are the ingredients of a great lesson? 14. Knowing about Learning Thinking Skills Learning how to Learn Lifelong Learning Equals Lifelong Earning Learning Styles Inquiry-based Learning Memory Skills Attention Motivation Study Skills Metacognitive skills Differentiation Planning Pyramid Hands on - Minds on Diverse learners Inquiry learning Questioning The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein Cooperative learning Reflection Self-evaluation Engagement Active participation Information processing 15. All Learning is Social We create knowledge through Our personal experiences We create knowledge through The experiences of others We create knowledge through Sharing experiences with others We create knowledge through Collaborative interactions with others Vygotsky 16. Happy Teams 17. Dales Cone of Experience Glasser on Learning Thinking about learning 18. Kolb Action Learning Cycle Visual AuditoryKinesthetic Thinking about learning 19. Instructional Framework 20. Thinking about learning 21. NSW, Australia Quality Teaching Model 22. Are we ready? challenge?opportunity? 23. Students media rich, connecting & learning Dated picture only 2 years old! Whats old? Whats missing? 24. Catering for the ??? Gen
- Accentuate the positive!!
25. What is your vision of learning? What are your beliefs about learning? How do you create quality learning environments? What are the most effective classroom practices for powerful learning? What strategies should we all consistently practise across the school? ? What are the ingredients of a great lesson? 26. Web 2.0 learning tools
- What are the key questions for teachers?
- What voice should be given to students?