- 1. Information Literacy in a Digital World
Collection Development Services Librarian
Institute of Education
2. The Lecture
What is a Lecture?
Libraries in Bloomsbury
3. Libraries at the centre of London
What is happening at:
The British Library
The Institute of Education
The School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS)
And other libraries in London?
4. The British Library
- The collection includes 150 million items, in most known languages 5. These require over 625 km of shelves, and grow 12km every year 6. The largest public building constructed in the UK in the 20th century
Senate House Library
7. Institute of Education Library
8. School of Oriental and African Studies Library
You may borrow from SOAS on production of your IoE registration card.
9. 21st century libraries
Libraries continue to
collect books and journals for research
and provide spaces where you can study
and employ librarians who can help
But there are also
places to talk; computers & televisions
lots of self-service
10. What is happening in the electronic world?
Links to external/ free resources
Online help on web pages and in VLEs
11. The future needs of libraries
Digitisation work at the BL requires storage space of six terabytes per year
By 2020 40% of the UK research output will be in electronic format only
Libraries need staff who can manage resources and clients who can make sense of them
12. Why such an emphasis on information literacy?
Information literacy is knowing when and why you need information, where to find it, and how to evaluate, use and communicate it in an ethical manner.
13. 14. Whats in a name?
Literacy or Fluency?
15. Ethical issues
What kind of issues should we be concerned about?
16. How do you keep track of what you have found?
Carefully organised notes
Purpose designed software, egEndNote
Web 2.0 technologies, eg delicious or Librarything
17. Web 2.0 and Library 2.0
Web 2.0 is about:
user-generated, web-based content
18. 19. Find out more
Find links and these slides at: http://delicious.com/GwynethP/caplitstalk
What is a lecture?
What is a library: physical and virtual?
21. Contact detailsGwyneth Price email@example.comEnquiries firstname.lastname@example.org