- I blog, therefore I am/reflect/collaborate/learn/teach
I blog, therefore I am/reflect/collaborate/learn/teach
Using blogs for inquiry-based learning
- 1. I blog, therefore I : Using blogs to aid student and staff inquiry Sabine Little Learning Development & Research Associate (Networked Learning) Centre for Inquiry-based Learning in the Arts and Social Sciences www.shef.ac.uk/cilass am reflect collaborate learn teach disseminate personalise
- 2. IBL involves
- Students and/or tutors establishing question/problem etc
- Students pursuing lines of inquiry (often in groups)
- Drawing on existing knowledge
- Identifying new learning and information needs
- Seeking information, evidence, e.g. interacting with (digital) resources, datasets, archives
- Discussing, receiving feedback, synthesising information, constructing knowledge
- Analysing and communicating ideas and results
- Working with staff as partners, participating in a research community
- 3. Blogs for reflection
- Can be kept private or public
- Layout of blog encourages narrative writing continuing the story
- Easy to link to resources, attach other materials
- Searchable on various levels (time stamp, key words, phrases, sub-categories)
- 4. I blog, therefore I reflect.
- 5. Blogs for collaboration
- Easily accessible (across countries/continents)
- Grouping possible through pages
- Processes, paths and reflections remain visible
- Product can be made visible to the world
- 6. I blog, therefore I collaborate.
- 7. Blogs for learning/teaching
- Individuals can bring learning components to the group, providing a bigger picture
- Staff can model good writing, reflexivity, facilitation
- Accessible (more easily than institutional virtual learning environments (VLEs)?)
- Personal (unlike institutional VLEs?)
- 8. I blog, therefore I learn/teach.
- 9. The Soup Blog
- 10. I blog, therefore I learn/teach.
- 11. Blogs for dissemination
- Raising the profile of learning and teaching in the institution
- One-stop-shop for events announcements, reports, and reflections
- Comments function facilitates discussion
- Creating a community of practice?
- 12. Blogs for dissemination
- 13. Blogs for personalisation
- Choice of templates customisation
- Inclusion of sound, video, images
- 14. I blog, therefore I personalise.
- 15. I blog, therefore I am
- Integrating podcasts, videos
- Space for sharing reflections, work & CV
- Identification through blog?
- 16. I blog, therefore Iam.
- 17. Discussion
- What can blogs do that other tools cant?
- What are personalisation issues?
- What other uses might new technologies open up?