- @tjhouston 2.
- Technology Director @ Huron City Schools
Who Am I? 3. Who Are You? 4. First and Formost: http://tinyurl.com/3eecdas 5. What we will cover today:
- What comes with Google Apps?
6. 3 options
- You own or manage the domain for the school
- Sales team will contact you and help you along the way
- Complicated integration or no IT Staff
7. 6 Steps
- Step 1: Sign Up and Sign In
- Step 2: Domain Verification
- Step 3: Customize Google Apps
- Step 5: Migrate Mail and MX Records
- Step 6: Deploy Google Apps!
There is a wizard that walks you through all of this... 8. Signing Up
- Must have a domain and have access to DNS Settings. (k12.oh.us is ok)
- Navigate tohttp://google.com/a/educationto signup
9. Quick Tip: google.com/a/your-domain-nametakes you to your control panel area. 10. Verification... I swear its me.. 11. Customizing
- You can customize your Login Screen,
- Websites, and What applications are available...
12. Creating Users
- Create Users individually
- Sync with your directory (Ldap, AD, OD)
13. GAM - Google Apps Manager
- Command Line tool to administer your Google Apps Domain. Great for automating and scripting tasks.
- Getting Started Guide:http://bit.ly/iuWO3g
14. STOP!!! Its Training Time!!!
- If you have gotten this far you need
- to start talking to your users...
15. Guide to Going Google
- This guide will provide you with sample notification emails, links to training presentations, as well as some Best practices...
16. 17. Migrating Mail & MX Records 18. MX Records
- Tells what server handles mail on the internetz.
- Google has plenty of step by step guides for several different web hosts.
19. Quick Tip: Dont forget to take into account things that depend on your Internal mail server. Copiers, Helpdesk, Alerts most likely depend on your internal mail server. However you can use relay from Gmail Server: smtp.gmail.com SSL: Yes Authentication: Yes Username: Full email address Password: Your Google Apps Password Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 Port: 465 or 587 20. Migrating Email
- Google has a utility called the Google Apps Migration for Exchange tool. (Works with Imap)
- Parses a text file and migrates emails to Google Apps.
21. Your Done! (ish)
- Explore the marketplace (Sherpa Tools, Brain Pop, LMSs, Gradebooks)
- Stay strong on cutover date with email. (Before Summer)
- Create a Tech Tips Google Group
22. Dont Worry there is help...
- Google Apps Administrator Help Center:http://www.google.com/support/a
- Google Apps End User Help Center:http://www.google.com/support/a/users
- Google Apps Help Group : http://goups.google.com/group/hosted
- Learning Center:http://services.google.com/apps/training
- Huron Wiki:http://helpdesk.huronhs.com/techwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.FC2GA
23. Questions? [email_address] @tjhouston cell: 419-975-9749 http://www.tjhouston.com 24. Thanks!