Geocaching Lets Go On A Treasure Hunt
This presentation is created for an introductory GPS and geocaching training session with educators. It will be presented at the 3C's ETC (Connect, Communicate & Collaborate Educational Technology Conference) at The Behrend College, Penn State University in Erie, PA.
- 1. Geocaching:Lets go on aTreasure Hunt! Mary Beth Hengelbrok http://mhengelbrok.wikispaces.com/geocaching The sport where YOU are the search engine
- A high-tech treasure hunt
- Seek a cache based on latitude andlongitude coordinates
- This is not just a teaching tool, its alifetime activity.
What is Geocaching? 3.
- Global Positioning System
- Garmin and Magellan are the most popular
- Info into the receiver if it is properly equipped
- Using three satellites, you should be able to determine your exact position through trilateration.
- Atmospheric Interference, etc.
- *A typical hand held receiver gets within 5-15 feet.
How Does It Work? 5.
- Search by city, zip code, state, driving route, etc.
- (I usually search by zip code--16506)
- Record the latitude and longitude coordinatesand read the hints!
How do I find a cache? 6.
- Trade itemsTake something, leavesomething
- Look for travel bugs and geocoins
- Be sure to put the cache back in the sameplace you found it with theappropriate amount of camouflage.
When you find the cache 7.
- Get as close to the location as you can.
- Insert the coordinates into the GPS.
- Follow the compass until it gets to 0-10feet.
- Use your geosense to find the cache.
Then what? 8. What am I looking for? 9. Travel Bugs 10. Geocoins Collectable and Tradable Items 11.
- Take a bag that includes:
Survival Guide 12. Muggles:Those who are not geocachers.You must be careful to be stealthy around them!TFTC:Thanks for the Cache TFTF:Thanks for the Find TNLN:Took Nothing Left Nothing Some Lingo 13.
- Reading latitude and longitude
- Can add a research component
- Cross-curricular connections
Educational Benefits 14.
- Resource for lesson plans, how-to CD
Educaching 15. www.geocaching.com: For all your geocaching needs A site for beginners:http://www.factsfacts.com/geocacher.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching Want to find out more? 16. Other Books For Your Library 17.
- PAECT list of resources -including GISsoftware
- Geocaching List Serv(for teachers)
- Dr. Christies Guide for Educators
Other Information 18.
- Elementary and Secondary Versions
- Lesson Plans and blackline masters
Science U.S. History/ Geography 19. Thank You to Bridget Belardi[email_address] [email_address]