2. Are you a football fan? Think about the following questions and then provide your answer: How often do you watch a football match? How often do you go to the stadium? How much would you spend on a ticket? What is your favourite football team?Do you attend all of its matches?Do you travel if its necessary? 3.
- And about the history of world cups?
- When do you think they started? Where? Which countries have been champions?
- Watch this video and check your predictions
How much do you know about football rules?Try the following quiz: http://www.allthetests.com/quiz26/quiz/1263067870/Soccer-rules http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v =rrukXClkgn0 4. Have you heard any news regarding the Argentine football team recently? Or about its players? Have a look at the following words taken from an article headline and the picture. Try to guess what the piece of news is about, where and when it happened, who were involved and what effect it might have caused among people. Then read the article (see word file) and check. Arsene WengerLionel Messibest player 5. After-reading Were your predictions correct? Did you know this? Now lets practice some vocabulary. All these words are related to football. Can you explain them and/or give an example? 6-3 success campaign - change direction defence defending champion - first leg - hit a hat-trick - keeper match player squad team - to be beaten by - to be on the run - to be robbed in the last minute - to captain - to concede cheap goals - to qualify - to score (four) goals 6. Do you know any other words related to this sport? Challenge yourself with a couple of vocabulary games! http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/quizzes/football/shootout.shtml http://www.visualesl.com/drag/21.htm If interested in learning more words, theres a very clear list on this website:http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/vocabulary/football.shtml#shot 7. a booking - a defeat - a defender - a draw - a foul - a goalkeeper - a linesman (referee's assistant)- a manager - a midfielder - a penalty shoot-out - a referee - a skipper (=captain) - a substitute - an attacker - extra time - full-time - injury time (=stoppage time) - to knock out - to win 8. 9. Now lets watch this video onArgentina's World Cup qualifying highlights. from the BBC Sports website. Try to understand the main idea of the video. What is the speakers pointof view? Do you agree with him? What is said about:Alfio BasileRiquelmeDiego MaradonaColombia & BrazilMartn Palermo http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8394734.stm 10. Placing ourselves into context.What do you know about South Africa? Decide if these statements are T or F for; then take 2 minutes and look up the answers.
- South Africa is a melting pot country.
- At the beginning of the 20th C, people were already independent.
- The apartheid was a legally institutionalised system of segregation.
- The racial stratification was white, coloured and black, but only white people had unlimited rights.
- The country is part of a kingdom.
- 6) Their first democratic elections occurred in 1994.
11. Were going to listen to the official song ofworld cup.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8V8S_REhk&feature=player_embedded 1st time: As you listen, try to get the gist of the song. What do you thinkit is about? Whats the mood of the singer? __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ 2nd time: Now have a look at the lyrics and perform the different tasks. You can check your answers against this link (Utube video): http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v =YVSknBO2Um0 Song time! 12. What are your predictions for this years world cup? Possible winners? Last quarter? Writing task: Choose one of the topics and write about it (minimum 120 words) Youre a journalist who is going to cover all Argentines matches. You arein South Africa already and you need to write an article on: a) This countrys scene setting.What the environment is like, tickets, etc. b) Peoples opinion on the different football teams and predictions made. c) An interview with one member of the Argentines team. 13. Thank you for joining the class!!! A kiss, Ale 14th May 2010