Mobile Learning ( mobile technologies)
A PhD project research in mobile technologies. The implications of mobile technologies in individual and collaborative learning
- 1. The implications of mobile technologies in individual and collaborative learning Adelina Moura (PhD Student) Ana Amlia Carvalho (Supervisor) University of Minho Braga, Portugal [email_address] [email_address] PhD Thesis Postgraduate Summer school Iadis 2007 Lisbon
- 2. Objectives
- The main aim of this research is to study the impact of mobile technologies (Smartphones and Tablets PCs) in the teaching and learning process.
- The project focuses on the impact of mobile technologies in individual and collaborative learning.
- 3. Research Questions
- Which will be the implications of mobile technologies in individual and collaborative learning?
- The mobile technologies will be able to contribute to change students attitude to the curriculum matters and school?
- 4. Theorical framework
- The activity theory emerges as a potential framework to unify theoretical perspective in Human Computer Interaction.
- Activity theory helps to explain how social artifacts and social organization mediate social action (Bryant et al, 2005)
- Some categories based on a model from cultural-historical activity theory (Engestrm, 1987) will be used to analyze data.
- 5. Methodology (1)
- We intend to conduct a quasi-experimental study;
- 6. Methodology (2)
- The two groups will be compared relatively:
- - attitudes towards school and learning
- - knowledge test (pre-test and pos-test)
- 7. Methodology (3)
- The experimental group will use technologies to learn, write and work individual and colaboratively
- The control group will have traditional classes
- At the end of the term they will do the pos-test (results will be compared)
- 8. Methodology (4)
- During the second term both group will receive the same treatment with mobile technologies
- At the end of the term they will do a knowlodge test and fill in the questionnaire of attitude
- 9. Instruments
- Questionnaire to caracterize students computer literacy
- Questionnaire of students attitudes (towards school and learning)
- Knowloage test (pre-test and pos-test)
- Questionnaire of students attitudes (towards school and learning) evolution (after treatment)
- 10. Conclusion
- The adoption of this new paradigm in classroom will contribute to rethink education
- Mobile learning gives the individuals the opportunity to choose when and where they want learn
- This study constitues an important contribution to the renewal of education
- 11. Questions? Comments,... [email_address]