Math At JCS Middle School 2012-2013. IMPORTANT!! We all want students to be successful! To be successful, teachers parents & students need to know what.

  • Published on
    03-Jan-2016

  • View
    213

  • Download
    0

Transcript

  • Math At JCS Middle School

    2012-2013

  • IMPORTANT!!We all want students to be successful!

    To be successful, teachers parents & students need to know what to expect.

  • Strands in Middle School Math Numbers and OperationsPatterns and RelationsShape and SpaceData Management and Probability

  • A Balanced Math Program hasWarm upsMental MathWhole Class InstructionGuided Math/ Anchor ActivitiesJournalsGamesProject Math

  • Assessment

    Balanced Math = Various Assessment Methods

  • Achievement Indicators

    A+ = WOW!A = Got it wellB = Got itC = Just got itD = Almost thereE = Not quite there

  • District and Provincial AssessmentsGrades 6 and 7 students write District Assessments at the end of May or beginning of JuneGrade 8 students write Provincial Assessments at the beginnig of June

  • Sample Mental Math

    1. 5 9 = _____ 7. 2 x 6 + 3 x 6 =_____2. 43 100 = ____ 8. 32 + 42 =_____3. 60 30 = _____ 9. $2.98 + $3.99=_____4. + = _____ 10. x 18= ____5. 3416 2 = _____ 11. 24 x 25= ___6. 0.2 14 = _____ 12. 600- 291= ____

  • Multiple Choice Which equation does this diagram represent?

    a) 2x + 5 = 9

    b) 2x 5 = 9

    c) 1x + 5 = 9 2d) 1x - 5 = 9 2

  • Non-Calculator-Gr 7

    Solve (-3) (+2) using a drawing.

  • Non-Calculator-Gr 8How many litres are in 3 litres?

  • Open Response* Show all work for each question*Create a realistic word problem that is solved by multiplying 6 by 2 .

    Show the solution to your word problem.

  • To be Successful.. Parents can help by:Making sure they have a good breakfast.Making sure students get lots of rest.Make sure they come with the proper supplies. ie. Pencils, calculator etc.Encourage mental math strategies whenever you can.Encourage them to do the best they can!!

  • Teamwork

    Together we can makea difference!

    *No child and no teacher wants to fail. Teachers are doing their best to prepare students for the assessment. We need to work smarter not harder. This session is to provide an opportunity to discuss ways in which schools are already we can improve student results ensuring thatNothing should be a surprise!*Grade 7 District Assessment:Number concepts 17%Operations 38% the two total 55% but I put 54% on the above slide just so that everything totaled 100%

    ****

Recommended

View more >