- Literacy for Children in an Information Age Cohen & Cowen Chapter 1 A New Definition of Literacy.
Literacy for Children in an Information Age Cohen & Cowen Chapter 1 A New Definition of Literacy.
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Literacy for Children in an Information Age Cohen & Cowen Chapter 1 A New Definition of Literacy
- Slide 3
- Literacy: 3 Questions What is Literacy? What are the different approaches to teaching literacy? How can you integrate technology into a literacy classroom?
- Slide 4
- Defining Literacy State & National Standards Visual Literacy Higher Order Thinking Skills Technological Literacy Global Literacy
- Slide 5
- Higher Order Thinking Skills 1.Recall 2.Comprehension 3.Application 4.Analysis 5.Synthesis 6.Evaluation
- Slide 6
- Approaches to Teaching Literacy 1.Bottom-up Approach 2.Top-Down Approach 3.Basal Series 4.Balanced Approach
- Slide 7
- English Language Learners (ELLs) 1.oral practice 2.tutoring & individual support 3.native language 4.Individual differences count! 5.Constant assessment 6.Home-school connection
- Slide 8
- Special Education Inclusion (45%)* Dyslexia (more than 50%)* (of all special ed students)
- Slide 9
- NRP Findings* 1.Phonemic awareness 2.Phonics 3.Fluency 4.Vocabulary 5.Text Comprehension *National Review Panel
- Slide 10
- Five Other Pillars 1.Classroom organization 2.Matching pupils and texts 3.Choice, interest & collaboration 4.Daily reading & writing across curriculum 5.Expert tutoring
- Slide 11
- Bottom-Up Approach Decoding (Phonic approach) /k/ C - a - t cat The cat is small.
- Slide 12
- Top-Down Approach Whole language bbegins with text comprehension cchildren learn to read by reading and enjoying text ppredictable books ddiscussions ddemonstrations
- Slide 13
- Bottom-Up . Top-Down Decoding Vocabulary Sentence Comprehension Paragraph Comprehension Text Comprehension Paragraph Comprehension Sentence Comprehension Vocabulary Decoding
- Slide 14
- Basal Series Comprehension Reading Program Contains texts for all grade levels Anthology Teachers Guide Daily lesson Plans All support materials
- Slide 15
- Balanced Literacy Approach All aspects of literacy taught in the classroom, centered on student needs, and using research and practice: Readingwritingspeakinglistening and viewing (Language Arts)
- Slide 16
- Website Evaluation* 1.Ease of use 2.Visual layout 3.Readability 4.Accuracy 5.Links--valuable? * Evaluation Form p. 28-29
- Slide 17
- Two Valuable Resources IRA International Reading Association NCTE National Council of Teachers of English
- Slide 18
- Textbook Website http://www.thomsonedu.com/education/ cohen*http://www.thomsonedu.com/education/ cohen* Back cover
- Slide 19
- Technology Incorporate into Literacy Classroom
- Slide 20
- Evaluate Internet Websites 1.Is literacy promoted? 2.Is the site age appropriate? 3.Does it reflect current research? 4.Are additional literacy resources available?
- Slide 21
- And finally .
- Slide 22
- Definition of literacy includes: Changing profile of students Technological and global impact Latest research National standards Higher Order thinking skills