1. Intelligent Content Starts with an Intelligent Content StrategyRahel Anne Bailie 2013 Intentional Design Inc.@rahelab www.intentionaldesign.ca
2. A 3-word mandateFix the website.
3. What was broken?
4. Too much us Where would I find information about apermit to cut down a tree?
5. Where do I start?
6. Content siloed by departmentLets look at the departments.
7. Theres no obvious choice Guess I could search
8. Can I track it down this way? Its probably not the mediaroom.
9. Maybe its over here? Could it be in theengsvcs department?
10. Does engsvcs handle it? No tree permits here.
11. What is commsvcs, anyhow? Maybe the commsvcs department?
12. Is it obvious that commsvcs = trees? OK, I think I found it.
13. Too much us The goal:Organize informationfor the user, not for the organization.
14. Dont make me work* How can I stay informed withoutinformation overload? * Nod to Steve Krugs Dont Make Me Think
15. News for the entire city Which of this stuff is relevant to me?
16. How can I filter this for me? I have to go hunting just to see if I need the info.
17. Dont make me work The goal: Make it easy to getrelevant information.
18. Not task-basedWhat do I need to dobefore I plant in the boulevard?
19. But what do I do? I can find out more.
20. But what do I do? Still no task
21. Disconnected task Heres what I doI think.
22. Following the popular links I want to find a recreational activity.
23. Wheres the task? Popular? Yikes, Im overwhelmed.
24. Looking for real-time information I want to avoid road crews on my drive home.
25. Wheres the task? How do I work this thing?
26. Not task-based The goal:Help residents completetasks clearly and easily.
27. Unbalanced contentEvery week, they pick upmy garbage. This week,they missed the pickup.
28. What people want Garbage & Request an Recycling: inspection: Parking: tickets and missed collections, building, electrical, enforcement get new gas, sprinkler bag/box/bin Hours of Report Property ops for Report Lookburnt out for a tax Business landfill abandoned job street garbage / light balance license: vehicle status/renew Source: 311 calls Feb 2009 to Jan 2010
29. Whats on the site Community Services: Parks: programs, bylaws, programs, parks, gardens,City Clerk: minutes, reports, business licenses, pools, Parks Board mayor & council, dog pound, theatrescommittees, election results Financial Services Engineering Sustain- ability Source: 2009/2010 City of Vancouver Content inventory
30. Unbalanced content The goal:Ensure the users needs are met, as are theorganizational objectives.
31. SearchWhere would you findinformation about
32. Sometimes it works Click. Pay. Done. Beauty.
33. Construction permits Old bulletins? Parking permits?
34. Car-free days Old documents? Meeting minutes?
35. Search The goal: Make search resultsrelevant and accurate.
36. The PlanMake it work !
37. Bring in the User-Centered DesignFrank Connie Lisa NahmFrustrated Content Citizen Locally-involved Newcomer 101 Aaron Bahri Stevie Ambitious Business Owner Student
38. One City, One Voice
39. Need to meet business requirements Participation Facilitate public engagement Transactions Provide in-demand services Provide answers to Publishing frequently asked questions People & Process Have efficient User Experience Technology work processes
40. Common problem: too much content 26,000 HTML pages 35,000 binary files (mostly PDF) 12 areas (34 business units)
41. Go from bloated to just enough
42. Be ruthless about hoarding
43. Connect content across the organization
44. From content by department
45. To visitors mental model
46. Easy to read
47. Clear call to action
48. Easy-to-follow task path
49. Auto-aggregate information
50. Re-think content
51. Case study detourGovernments run on meetings
52. Reports, agendas, minutesIssues get written up Reports get put onto agendas Recommendations get published
53. Like this: agenda with multiple topics
54. Re-think content delivery from BLOBs
55. To the topic-based model
56. Components repackaged by outputSource channelcontent Output A Output B Output C Output D
57. How to componentize this?
58. Genre = social construct AGENDA Item for discussion 1 Item for discussion 2 Item for discussion 3 Item for discussion 4 Item for discussion 5
59. Schema = technical construct Topics TagsItem for discussion 1 AGENDAItem for discussion 2 Item for discussion 1 Item for discussion 2Item for discussion 3 Item for discussion 3Item for discussion 4 Item for discussion 4 Item for discussion 5Item for discussion 5
60. Rethink the content flow
61. Deliver to the neighbourhood pages
62. Deliver to relevant pages site-wide
63. Better search results
64. Connect the dots
65. Instructive and a showcase
66. Tell the Citys story
67. Engage the next generation
68. What we didnt cover here Mobile Applications Maps Open data Engagement tools Taxonomy Social media Digital strategy Governanceand much, much more
69. Thank you Intelligent Content Starts with an Intelligent Content StrategyRahel Anne Bailie 2013 Intentional Design Inc.@rahelab / http://about.me/rahel.bailie www.intentionaldesign.ca