CURRICULUM VITAE:WILLIAM MARK GOLDMAN
(January 11, 2018)
Princeton Univ. A. B. 1977Univ. Cal. Berkeley Ph.D. 1980Univ. Colorado NSF Postdoc. 19801981M.I.T. C.L.E. Moore Inst. 19811983
Brown Univ. Distinguished Visiting Prof. Sep.Dec. 2017M.S.R.I. Member Jan.May 2015Institute for Advanced Study Member Spring 2008Princeton University Visitor Spring 2008M.S.R.I. Member Nov.Dec. 2007Univ. Maryland Assoc. Chair for Grad. Studies 19951998Univ. Maryland Professor 1990presentOxford Univ. Visiting Professor Spring 1989Univ. Maryland Assoc. Professor 19861990M.I.T. Assoc. Professor 1986M.S.R.I. Member 19831984Univ. Maryland Visiting Asst. Professor Fall 1983M.I.T. Asst. Professor 1983 1986
(1) (with D. Fried and M. Hirsch) Affine manifolds and solvablegroups, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 3 (1980), 10451047.
(2) (with M. Hirsch) Flat bundles with solvable holonomy, Proc.Amer. Math. Soc. 82 (1981), 491494.
(3) (with M. Hirsch) Flat bundles with solvable holonomy II: Ob-struction theory, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 83 (1981), 175178.
(4) Two examples of affine manifolds, Pac. J. Math.94 (1981), 327330.
(5) (with M. Hirsch) A generalization of Bieberbachs theorem, Inv.Math. , 65 (1981), 111.
(6) (with D. Fried and M. Hirsch) Affine manifolds with nilpotentholonomy, Comm. Math. Helv. 56 (1981), 487523.
2 W. GOLDMAN
(7) Characteristic classes and representations of discrete subgroupsof Lie groups, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 6 (1982), 9194.
(8) On the polynomial cohomology of affine manifolds, Inv. Math.65 (1982), 453457.
(9) (with M. Hirsch) Polynomial forms on affine manifolds, Pac. J.Math.101 (1982), 115121.
(10) (with M. Hirsch and G. Levitt) Invariant measures for affinefoliations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 86 (1982), 511518.
(11) (with D. Fried) Three-dimensional affine crystallographic groups,Adv. Math. 47 (1983), 149.
(12) Conformally flat manifolds with nilpotent holonomy and theuniformization problem for 3-manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math.Soc. 278 (1983), 573583.
(13) (with Y. Kamishima) The fundamental group of a compact flatLorentz space form is virtually polycyclic, J. Diff. Geo. 19(1984), 233240.
(14) The symplectic nature of fundamental groups of surfaces, Adv.Math. 54 (1984), 200225.
(15) (with R. Brooks) The Godbillon-Vey invariant of transverselyhomogeneous codimension-one foliations, Trans. Amer. Math.Soc. 286 (1984), 651664.
(16) (with M. Hirsch) The radiance obstruction and parallel formson affine manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 286 (1984),639649.
(17) (with R. Brooks) Volume in Seifert space, Duke Math. J. 51(1984), 529545.
(18) Representations of fundamental groups of surfaces, in Geom-etry and Topology, Proceedings, University of Maryland 1983-1984, J. Alexander and J. Harer (eds.), Lecture Notes in Math-ematics Vol.1167 (1985), 95117, Springer-Verlag New York.
(19) Nonstandard Lorentz space forms, J. Diff. Geo. 21 (1985),301308.
(20) (with M. Hirsch) Affine manifolds and orbits of algebraic groups,Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 295 (1986), 175198.
(21) Invariant functions on Lie groups and Hamiltonian flows of sur-face group representations, Inv. Math. 85 (1986), 140.
(22) (with J. Millson) Eichler-Shimura homology and the finite gen-eration of cusp forms by hyperbolic Poincare series, Duke Math.J. 53 (1986), 10811091.
(23) (with J. Millson) Deformations of flat bundles over Kahler man-ifolds, in Geometry and Topology, Manifolds, Varieties, andKnots, C. McCrory and T. Shifrin (eds.), Lecture Notes in
W. GOLDMAN 3
Pure and Applied Mathematics 105 (1987), 129-145 MarcelDekker Inc., New York.
(24) Projective structures with Fuchsian holonomy, J. Diff. Geo. 25(1987), 297326.
(25) (with J. Millson) Local rigidity of discrete groups acting on com-plex hyperbolic space, Inv. Math. 88 (1987), 495520.
(26) Geometric structures and varieties of representations, in TheGeometry of Group Representations, Contemp. Math., Amer.Math. Soc. 74, (1988), 169198.
(27) (with A. Magid, eds.) The Geometry of Group Representa-tions, Contemp. Math., Amer. Math. Soc. 74, (1988).
(28) (with Y. Kamishima) Topological rigidity of developing mapswith applications to conformally flat manifolds, in The Geom-etry of Group Representations, Contemp. Math., Amer. Math.Soc. 74 (1988), 199203.
(29) (with J. Millson) The deformation theory of representations offundamental groups of compact Kahler manifolds, Bull. Amer.Math. Soc. 18 (1988), 153158.
(30) Topological components of spaces of representations, Inv. Math.93 (3) (1988), 557607.
(31) (with J. Millson) The deformation theory of representations offundamental groups of Kahler manifolds, Publications Mathe-matiques dInstitut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques, 67 (1988),4396.
(32) Convex real projective structures on compact surfaces, J. Diff.Geo. 31 (1990), 791845.
(33) (with J. Millson) The homotopy invariance of the Kuranishispace, Illinois J. Math. (memorial issue dedicated to K. T.Chen), 34 (1990), 337367.
(34) The symplectic geometry of affine connections on surfaces, Jour-nal fur die reine und angewandte Mathematik 407 (1990), 126159.
(35) (with J. Millson) Differential graded Lie algebras and singular-ities of level sets of momentum mappings, Comm. Math. Phys.131 (1990), 495515.
(36) (with T. Drumm) Complete flat Lorentz 3-manifolds with freefundamental group, Int. J. Math. 1 (1990), 149161.
(37) Review of Conformal Geometry, by R. Kulkarni and U. Pink-all, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 23 (1990), 566575.
4 W. GOLDMAN
(38) (with Y. Kamishima) Conformal automorphisms and closed con-formally flat manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 323 (1991),797810.
(39) Complex hyperbolic Kleinian Groups, in Complex Geometry,Proceedings of the Osaka International Conference, Marcel Dek-ker, New York, G. Komatsu and Y. Sakane (eds.), 3152 (1992).
(40) (with J. Parker) Complex hyperbolic ideal triangle groups, Jour-nal fur die reine und angewandte Mathematik 425 (1992), 7186.
(41) (with J. Parker) Dirichlet Polyhedra for Dihedral Groups Actingon Complex Hyperbolic Space, J. Geom. Anal. 2 (6) (1992),517554.
(42) (with S. Choi) Convex real projective structures on closed sur-faces are closed, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 118 (2) (1993), 657661.
(43) Complex Hyperbolic Geometry, Proceedings of the Topology Ge-ometry Research Center Workshop, Kyungpook National Uni-versity, Taegu, Korea, July 1994.
(44) Moduli spaces, Proceedings of the Korean Science and Engi-neering Foundation Workshop, Korea National University ofEducation, Chonju, Korea, July 1994.
(45) Review of An extension of Cassons invariant, by K. Walker,Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 30 (1) (1994), 100104.
(46) (with T. Drumm) Crooked planes, Electronic Research Announce-ments of the Amer. Math. Soc. 1 (1), (1995), 1017.
(47) (with M. Darvishzadeh) Deformations of real projective struc-tures and hyperbolic affine structures, J. Korean Math. Soc. 33(1996), 625638.
(48) (with S. Choi) The Classification of Real Projective Structureson compact surfaces, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 34 (2) (1997),161170.
(49) Ergodic Theory on Moduli Spaces, Ann. Math. 146 (1997), 133.
(50) Review of Geometry and Topology, by G. Bredon, AmericanMathematical Monthly 05 (2) (1998), 192194.
(51) (with T. Drumm) The Geometry of Crooked Planes, Topology38 (2) (1999), 323351.
(52) (with R. Benedetto) The topology of the relative character va-riety of the quadruply-punctured sphere, Experimental Mathe-matics (1999) 8:1, 85104.
W. GOLDMAN 5
(53) Complex Hyperbolic Geometry, Oxford Mathematical Mono-graphs, Oxford University Press xvii + 316 pp. + 58 illus.(1999).
(54) Review of Algorithmic and Computer Methods for Three-Mani-folds by A.T. Fomenko and S.V. Matveev. Society for Indus-trial and Applied Mathematics Review, 41-2 (1999), 1517.
(55) (with V. Charette) Affine Schottky groups and crooked tilings,Contemp. Math., Amer. Math. Soc. 262, (2000), 6998.
(56) (with G. Margulis) Flat Lorentz 3-manifolds and cocompact Fuch-sian groups, Contemp. Math., Amer. Math. Soc. 262, (2000),135146. math.DG/0005292.
(57) (with M. Kapovich and B. Leeb) Complex hyperbolic mani-folds homotopy-equivalent to a Riemann surface, Comm. Geom.Anal. 9:1, (2001), 6196.
(58) (with T. Drumm) Isospectrality of flat Lorentz 3-manifolds, J.Diff. Geo. 58:3 (2001), 457466.
(59) The Margulis Invariant of Isometric Actions on Minkowski(2+1)-Space, in Ergodic Theory, Geometric Rigidity and Num-ber Theory, Springer-Verlag (2002), 149164.
(60) (with V. Charette, T. Drumm and M. Morrill) Complete flataffine and Lorentzian manifolds, Geom. Ded. 97 (2003), 187198.
(61) Action of the modular group on real SL(2)-characters of a one-holed torus, Geometry and Topology 7 (2003), 443486.mathDG/0305096.
(62) The complex symplectic geometry of SL(2, C)-characters oversurfaces, in Proceedings of the International Conference onAlgebraic Groups and Arithmetic: Mumbai 2001, (S. Daniand G. Prasad, eds.) Tata Institute of Fundamental Research,Narosa Publishing House (distributed by American Mathemat-ical Society) (2004), 375407. math.DG/0304307.
(63) (with V. Charette and C. Jones) Recurrence of geodesics in flatLorentz 3-manifolds, Canadian Math. Bull. 47 (2004) no.3,332-342
(64) (with W. Neumann) Homological action of the modular groupon some cubic moduli spaces,. Math. Res. Letters, 12, Issue 4,(2005), 575-591. math.GT/0401257
(65) (with S. Choi) Real projective structures on 2-dimensional orb-ifolds, American J. Math. 127 no. 5 (October 2005), 10191102. math.GT/0107193
(66) (with O. Baues) Is the deformation space of complete affinestructures on the 2-torus smooth?, Geometry and Dynamics,
6 W. GOLDMAN
J. Eels, E. Ghys, M. Lyubich, J. Palis and J. Seade (eds.),Proceedings of the Conference Geometria complejo et sistemosdynamicos, commemorating the sixtieth birthday of AlbertoVerjovsky, Cuernavaca, Mexico. Contemp. Math., Amer. Math.Soc. 389 (2006) 6989 math.DG/0401257.
(67) Mapping Class Group Dynamics on Surface Group Representa-tions, Problems on Mapping Class Groups and Related Top-ics, B. Farb, ed., Proc. Symp. in Pure Math. 74, AmericanMathematical Society (2006), 189 214 math.GT/0509114.
(68) The Mapping Class Group acts reducibly on SU(n)-charactervarieties, Knots and Primes: Proceedings of the 2004 Japan-American Mathematics Institute, Johns Hopkins University,oContemp. Math., Amer. Math. Soc. 416 (2006), 115119math.GT/0509115
(69) What is a ... projective structure? Notices of the Amer. Math.Soc. 54 (no. 1) (January 2007), 3033.
(70) (with R. Wentworth) Energy of Twisted Harmonic Maps of Rie-mann Surfaces, In the Tradition of Ahlfors-Bers IV, (May19-22, 2005 , University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan)(Dick Canary, Jane Gilman, Juha Heinonen, Howard Masur,eds.) Contemp. Math., Amer. Math. Soc. 432, (2007) Ameri-can Mathematical Society, 45-63 math.DG/0506212
(71) An ergodic action of the outer automorphism group of a freegroup, Geom. Func. Anal. Vol. 17-3 (2007), 793-805math.DG/0506401
(72) (with K. Scannell, L. Andersson, T. Barbot, R. Benedetti, F.Bonsante, F. Labourie, J.-M. Schlenker) Remarks on a paper ofMess, Geom. Ded. Vol. 126, No. 1 (2007), 4770.math.DG.0706.0640
(73) (with E. Xia) Rank one Higgs bundles and fundamental groupsof Riemann surfaces, Memoirs of the American MathematicalSociety. 193 (2008), no. 904. math.DG/0402429
(74) (with T. Barbot, V. Charette, T. Drumm, and K. Melnick)A Primer on the (2+1)-Einstein Universe, in Recent Devel-opments in Pseudo-Riemannian Geometry, (D. Alekseevsky,H. Baum, eds.) Erwin Schrodinger Lectures in Mathematicsand Physics, European Mathematical Society (2008), 179230math.DG.0706.3055.
(75) Higgs bundles and geometric structures on surfaces, in TheMany Facets of Geometry: a Tribute to Nigel Hitchin, O. Garca-Prada, J.P. Bourgignon, and S. Salamon (eds.), Oxford Univer-sity Press (2010) 129 163, math.DG.0805.1793
W. GOLDMAN 7
(76) Trace coordinates on Fricke spaces of some simple hyperbolicsurfaces, Chapter 15, pp. 611684, of Handbook of Teichmullertheory, vol. II (A. Papadopoulos, ed.), IRMA Lectures inMathematics and Theoretical Physics volume 13, European Math-ematical Society (2008), math.GM.0402103).
(77) (with F. Labourie and G. Margulis) Proper affine actions andgeodesic flows on hyperbolic surfaces, Annals of Mathematics170 (2009), 10511083. math.DG/0406247.
(78) (with V. Charette and T. Drumm) Stretching three-holed spheresand the Margulis invariant,
(in In the Tradition of Ahlfors-
Bers, V. The Triennial Ahlfors-Bers Colloquium, May 8-11,2008, Rutgers University, Newark New Jersey, M. Bonk, J.Gilman, H. Masur, Y. Minsky, and M. Wolf (eds.)
Math., Amer. Math. Soc. 510 (2009), 6170. DG:0907.0680(79) Locally homogeneous geometric manifolds, Proceedings of the
2010 International Congress of Mathematicians, Hyderabad, In-dia (2010), 717744, Hindustan Book Agency, New Delhi, IndiaDG:1003.2759
(80) (with V. Charette and T. Drumm) Affine deformations of thethree-holed sphere, Geometry & Topology 14 (2010), 1355-1382.DG:0907.0690
(81) (with E. Xia) Ergodicity of mapping class group action on SU(2)-character varieties, in Geometry, rigidity, and group actions,591 - 608, Chicago Lectures in Math., University of ChicagoPress (2011) GT:0901.1402
(82) (with E. Xia) Action of the Johnson-Torelli group on represen-tation varieties, Proc. A. M. S. 140 (2012), no. 4, 1449 1457DS:1003.2825
(83) (with F. Labourie) Geodesics on Margulis spacetimes, ErgodicTheory and Dynamical Systems / Volume 32 / Issue 02 / April2012, pp 643 - 651 DS:1102.0431
(84) (with C. Series and S. P. Tan, eds.) Geometry, Topology andDynamics of Character Varieties, Bookmark and Share Lec-ture Notes Series, Institute for Mathematical Sciences, NationalUniversity of Singapore, Publisher World Scientific PublishingCompany Incorporated, (2012)(ISBN 9814401358, 9789814401357), 364 pp.
(85) Two papers which changed my life: Milnors seminal work onflat manifolds and flat bundles, in Frontiers in Complex Dy-namics: In Celebration of John Milnors 80th Birthday (AraceliBonifant, Misha Lyubich, Scott Sutherland, eds.), Princeton
8 W. GOLDMAN
University Press ( 2014), 679704,(ISBN: 9780691159294), DG:1108.0216
(86) Manifolds: a global setting for geometry and analysis, with orwithout coordinates, WIREs Comp Stat, 4: 447 454. doi:10.1002/wics.1220 Wiley Interscience (2012)
(87) (with V. Charette and T. Drumm) Finite-sided deformationspaces of complete affine 3-manifolds, J. Topol. 7 (2014), no.1, 225246. GT:1107.2862
(88) (with J.-P. Burelle, V. Charette, T. Drumm) Crooked half-spaces, LEnseignement Mathematique (2) 60 (2014), 4378.DG.1211.4177
(89) Crooked surfaces and anti-de Sitter geometry, Geometriae Ded-icata 175 (2014), 129. DG.1302.4911
(90) (with D. Cooper) A 3-manifold with no real projective structure,Annales de la Faculte des sciences de Toulouse (6) 24 (2015),no. 5, 12191238. MR 3485333, GT:1207.2007
(91) (with V. Charette, T. Drumm) Proper affine deformations ofthe one-holed torus, Transform. Groups 21 (2016), no. 4,953?1002. DG:1501.04535
(92) (with V. Charette) A McShane-type identity for affine defor-mations, Ann. Inst. Fourier (to appear) GT:507.01854
(93) (with S. Choi) Topological tameness of Margulis spacetimes,American Journal of Mathematics 139 (2017), no. 2, 297?345GT:1204.5308
(94) (with G. McShane, G. Stantchev and S. Tan) Automorphismsof two-generator free groups and spaces of isometric actions onthe hyperbolic plane, Memoirs of the American MathematicalSociety (to appear), DS:1509.03790
(95) (with J.-P. Burelle, V. Charette, D. Francoeur) Einstein toriand crooked surfaces, DG.1702.08414
W. GOLDMAN 9
Doctoral Theses Advised
Ser-Peow Tan, Geometric structures and representations ofsurface groups into PSL(2,R) (UCLA, 1988, co-advised withJ. Millson).
Todd Drumm, Fundamental polyhedra for Margulis space-times (1990).
Mark Phillips, Dirichlet polyhedra in complex hyperbolic space(1990).
Robert Miner, Affine manifolds with dilations (1991). Bernhard Leeb, 3-manifolds with(out) metrics of nonpositive
curvature (1992). Shigeru Takamura, Deformations of complex surfaces(1994). Richard Brown, Mapping class actions on the SU(2)-represen-
tation varieties of compact surfaces(1996). Po-Hsun Hsieh, Submanifolds of Kahler manifolds and their
normal bundles (1997). Eugene Z. Xia, Moduli of flat PGL(2,R)-bundles on Riemann
surfaces (1997). Igor Belegradek, Counting negatively curved manifolds (1998). Hong Chan Kim, The symplectic structure on the moduli space
of real projective structures (1999). Virginie Charette, Proper actions of discrete groups on (2+1)-
spacetime (2000). Justin Wyss-Gallifent, Complex hyperbolic triangle groups
(2000) (co-advised with R. Schwartz). Adam Sikora, 3-Manifolds, group actions, and character vari-
eties (2000). Ilya Kofman, Vassilliev invariants of knots and links in S3 and
other 3-manifolds (2000). Lawrence Triplett, Cyclic groups and complex hyperbolic space
(2001). George Stantchev, Action of the modular group on PGL(2,R)-
characters on a once-punctured torus (2003). Cathy Jones, Pyramids of properness: towards the properness
conjecture (2003). Sean Lawton, SL(3,C)-Character Varieties and RP2-Structures
on a Trinion (2006). Elisha Peterson, Trace Diagrams, Representations, and Low-
Dimensional Topology (2006).
10 W. GOLDMAN
Taejung Kim, An Investigation on Holomorphic Vector Bun-dles and Krichever-Lax Matrices Over An Algebraic Curve(2007)
Anton Lukyanenko, Projective triangle groups, (M.A. 2008) Robert Delgado Density properties of Euler characteristic 2
surface group PSL(2,R)-character varieties (Ph.D. 2009) Ryan Hoban, Local rigidity of triangle groups in Sp(4,R)
(Ph.D. 2009) Jeffrey Frazier, Length Spectral Rigidity of Nonpositively Curved
Surfaces (Ph.D. 2012) Weiqiang Wu, Embedded spheres in affine manifolds, (Ph.D.
2012) Andrew Sanders, Minimal surfaces, hyperbolic 3-manifolds,
and deformation spaces, (Ph.D. 2013) Son Lam Ho, On conformally flat circle bundles over surfaces,
(Ph.D. 2014) Gregory Laun, Fundamental Domains for Proper Affine Ac-
tions of Coxeter Groups in Three Dimensions, (Ph.D. 2016) Jean-Philippe Burelle, Generalizations of Schottky groups
(Ph.D. 2017) Corry Bedwell, advanced to candidacy 27 March 2017
Other thesis committees:
Lisa Goldberg, Brandeis Bruno Klingler, Paris Ron Karidi, Tel-Aviv University Aristide Tsemo, Montpellier Oliver Baues (Habilitation), ETH Zurich Francois Salein, ENS Lyon Charles Frances, ENS Lyon Bruno Klingler (Habilitation), Paris. Olivier Guichard, Paris 2004 Ying Zhang, National University, Singapore 2004 Greg McShane (Habilitation), Toulouse 2005 Daniel Virgil Mathews (M.Sc.), Melbourne 2005 Julien Paupert, Paris 2005 Panagiotis Konstantinou, Arizona 2006 Peter Gothen, (Agregado), Porto 2007 David Klein, Toronto 2008 Krishnendu Gongopadhyay, Indian Institute of Technology, Mum-
bai 2008 Reza Seyyadali, Johns Hopkins, 2009
W. GOLDMAN 11
Ludovic Marquis, University of Paris Sud, 2009 Frederic Palesi, Insitut Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, 2009 Martin Deraux (Habilitation), Institut Joseph Fourier, Greno-
ble, 2010. Tobias Hartnick, ETH Zurich 2010. Francois Beguin (Habilitation), Paris, 2011 Roberto Rubio, Universitad Autonoma de Madrid, 2012 Tanner Crowder, Howard University, March 2013 Caleb Ashley, Howard University, April 2013 Dominik Francoeur (Memoire), Universite de Sherbrooke, Feb-
ruary 2014 Francois Fillastre (Habilitation), Toulouse, January 2015 Fanny Kassel, (Habilitation), Paris, November 2016
Kevin Corlette (Fall 1988) (co-sponsor with John Millson) John Parker (19891992) Michael Kapovich (Fall 1991) Bruno Klingler (Winter 1995) Richard Schwartz (1995 - Summer 1996) Doug Bullock (1997-1998) (co-sponsor with John Millson) Hanna Sandler (NSF POWRE grant 1999) Kyeonghee Jo, 20042006. Karin Melnick, Summer 2006 Kelly Delp (AWM fellowship, Summer 2009) Aaron Magid, (NSF 2009-2012) Rasmus Villemoes (Spring 2011) Rania Amer (2011) Michelle Lee (20122014) Caleb Ashley (2013)
12 W. GOLDMAN
Selected invited lectures (since 1989)
January, Geometry seminar, Oxford University February, Topology seminar, University of Warwick Colloquium, University of London March, Colloquium, University of Manchester Geometry seminar, Oxford University Colloquium, University of Southampton May, Geometry seminar, Institut Fourier, University of Greno-
ble Seminar, Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques June, Seminaire A.Besse, Ecole Politechnique, Paris August, Special Session, Dynamics and Moduli Space, AMS
Summer Meeting, Boulder, Colorado International Conference on Algebra, Novosibirsk, USSR Algebraic Geometry Seminar, Institute of Mathematics, Siberian
branch of USSR Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, USSR September, Seminar Talk, Reinhart Memorial conference, Ge-
ometry Special Year, University of Maryland Colloquium, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada October, Special Session, Low-dimensional topology, AMS
Regional Meeting, Hoboken, NJ December, Miniconference, Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH Colloquium and Geometry Seminar, Rice University
W. GOLDMAN 13
January, Workshop, University of Utah February, Geometry Seminar and Complex Analysis Seminars,
SUNY at Stony Brook May, Seminaire dinvariant de Casson, Universitat Bern, Switzer-
land June, Colloquium, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan Principal Speaker, Workshop in Geometric structures and rep-
resentation spaces, Kyoto, Japan (two lectures) Colloquium, Osaka University, Japan Colloquium, Kumamoto University, Japan Colloquium and Topology seminar (3 lectures), Seoul National
University, Korea October, Invited One-hour address, AMS meeting, Amherst,
Massachusetts December, Conference on Complex Geometry, Commemoration
of Fiftieth anniversary of Osaka University, Japan Conference on CR Structures, Kumamoto University, Japan
January, Conference on Representations of fundamental groups,University of Chicago
Colloquium, Northern Illinois University, De Kalb, Illinois March, Conference on Bundles in complex differential geome-
try, Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho UMIACS Seminar on Computational Geometry and Computer
Graphics Summer, Lectured (with computer demonstration) to Under-
graduates and High-School Teachers, Regional Geometry Insti-tute, Park City, UT
September, Colloquium, University of Connecticut Valley Geometry Seminar, Amherst, MA October, Colloquium, American University, Washington, DC
Special Session on Complex analysis and symplectic topology,AMS Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD
Conference on Flat connections and their applications, Tu-lane University
Seminaire A.Besse, Ecole Politechnique, Paris Colloque de Geometrie et Topologie, Universite de Paris, Orsay,
14 W. GOLDMAN
Colloque de Geometrie et Topologie, Universite Paul Sabatier,Toulouse, France (two lectures)
Relativity Seminar, Physics Department, University of Mary-land
Invited Speaker, Cornell Topology Festival Workshop on Visualization of Geometric Structures, MSRI,
Berkeley Colloquium, University of Washington, Seattle
Special Session, Low-dimensional topology, AMS regional meet-ing, Howard University, Washington DC
Topology conference, University of Pennsylvania Differentialgeometrie im Groen, Oberwolfach, Germany Conference in hyperbolic geometry, University of Warwick, Eng-
land Geometry Seminar, Oxford University, England Special session of joint AMS-DMV meeting, Heidelberg, Visu-
alization in geometry and topology (invited but declined) Geometry Seminar, University of Toronto Colloquium, University of Kentucky December, Geometries in Interaction, Tel-Aviv University
Colloquium, Rutgers University, Newark Topology Seminar, Princeton University Topology Seminar, Institute for Advanced Study TGRC Workshop, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Ko-
rea KOSEF Workshop, Korea National University of Education,
Chonju, Korea Seminar, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan Special session, Complex hyperbolic geometry and discrete
groups, AMS regional meeting, Stillwater Oklahoma Workshop, Applications of symplectic geometry, Newton In-
stitute, Cambridge University, England
Geometric analysis seminar, University of Minnesota Ontario Topology Seminar, Montreal, Quebec 4-week course, Geometria differenziale, University of Perugia,
W. GOLDMAN 15
Special sessions, Locally Symmetric Spaces, and Cohomol-ogy of groups, AMS regional meeting, Boston, Massachusetts(invited)
Geometry Seminar, University of Pennsylvania Visualizing geometry, Rutgers University, Camden, New Jer-
sey Valley Geometry Seminar, University of Massachusetts, Univer-
sity of Massachusetts, Amherst, Amherst GANG Seminar, University of Massachusetts, University of Mas-
sachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts Special Session, Hyperbolic Geometry, AMS regional meet-
ing, Courant Institute, New York City Midwest Geometry Conference, Norman, Oklahoma Conference on Geometry, Physics and Harmonic maps, Camp-
inas, Brazil Special session, Holomorphic vector bundles with or without
additional structure, AMS regional meeting, Lawrenceville,New Jersey
Conference on Crystallographic groups and their generaliza-tions, Kortrijk, Belgium
Knots in Washington conference, George Washington Univer-sity.
Moduli Spaces in Geometry and Physics, Institute of Funda-mental Theory, Gainesville, Florida.
Colloquium, Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ). AMS regional meeting, College Park. Special session, Noneuclidean and spacetime geometries, AMS
regional meeting, Montreal.
Colloquium, University of Arizona (2 lectures). Colloquium, University of Mainz. Round Table on Pseudo-Riemannian Geometry, Nancy, France. Conference on Rigidity, Ergodic Theory, and Geometry, Paris. Topology Conference, Athens, Georgia. Special Session on Complexity of Geometric Structures, AMS
meeting, Chicago (invited but declined).
16 W. GOLDMAN
Analysis Seminar, Columbia University. Special session on Diophantine Problems, Regional A.M.S.
Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada. Special session on Integrable Systems, Regional A.M.S. Meet-
ing, Buffalo, New York. Special session on Complex Geometry, Regional A.M.S. Meet-
ing, Buffalo, New York. Lecture, The Art of Mathematics, Yellow Barn Art Gallery,
Glen Echo, Maryland. Crystallographic Groups and their Generalizations II, Kor-
trijk, Belgium. A.M.S. Summer Institute From manifolds to singular vari-
eties, Boulder, Colorado. Topology seminar, Microsoft Research. Colloquium, McMaster University. Plenary Address, Annual Meeting of Canadian Mathematical
Society, Kingston, Ontario. Special Session, Differential Geometry, Annual Meeting of
Canadian Mathematical Society.
Colloquium, University of Maryland. Colloquium, University of Durham. Seminar, University of Edinburgh. EURO-Workshop, Rigidity in Dynamics and Geometry, Pro-
gramme in Ergodic Theory, Rigidity and Number Theory, New-ton Institute, Cambridge.
April, Seminar, Warwick University. Seminar, Johns Hopkins University. June, Plenary Address, Lehigh Geometry Conference
February, Lecture Series (Dynamics and group actions SpecialColloquium, Lie groups Seminar), Yale University.
April, Seminar, University of California San Diego. Seminar, University of Southern California. Seminar, Caltech. Colloquium, Rutgers University. May, Case Lecturer, Saint Louis University. Plenary Speaker, Knots in Washington conference, George
W. GOLDMAN 17
July, Special Session Differential Geometric Methods in Math-ematical Physics, joint meeting of AMS/SMF Lyon, France.
September, Departmental Colloquium and Differential Geome-try Seminar, University of Utah.
October, Algebraic Geometry Seminar, Duke University. November, String Theory seminar, Department of Physics Differential Geometry Seminar, Oxford University. 3-lecture minicourse in Seminaire Sud-Rhodanien, Geometrie
des Espaces Homogenes, CIRM, Luminy, France. December, International Conference Discrete groups, Geome-
try and Arithmetic in honor of the sixtieth birthday of M.S.Raghunathan, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bom-bay, India.
Topology Seminar, Columbia University. Department Colloquium, University of Virginia. Geometry Seminar, University of Illinois at Chicago. Topology/Geometry Seminar, University of Chicago. Department Colloquium, University of California, Santa Cruz. MSRI workshop Nonabelian Hodge Theory. Department Colloquium, Stanford University. Seminar, Johns Hopkins University. Geometric Analysis Seminar, Princeton University. Scientific Committee, Discrete Groups and Geometric Struc-
tures, with Applications. (Crystallographic Groups and theirGeneralizations III) at Kortrijk (Belgium), May 22 - 24, 2002.
Geometry and Dynamics of Groups, CIRM, Luminy 3-lecture minicourse and lecture in conference, European Dif-
ferential Geometry Endeavor in Edinburgh, Scotland (23 July 2 August 2002).
Plenary speaker, International Conference on Complex Geom-etry and Dynamical Systems, commemorating the 60th birth-day conference of Alberto Verjovsky, (January 6-10) Cuernavaca.
Japan-Amer. Math. Inst., Knots and Primes, Johns Hopkins Seminar, University of Chicago (March 13) Seminar, University of Illinois at Chicago. (March 14) Colloquium, George Mason University. (March 28) AMS Special Session, Rigidity in geometry and group theory,
AMS regional meeting, Courant Institute, New York.(April 13)
18 W. GOLDMAN
Organizer and Plenary Speaker, Knots in Washington XVI (May6)
Seminar, Instituto de Matematicas y Fisica Fundamenta, Madrid.(May 15).
AMS Special Session, Moduli spaces in geometry and physics,joint AMS-RSME meeting, Sevilla. (June 21)
Geometry/Dynamics seminar, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon.(June 23)
July, Plenary speaker, Vector bundles in Algebraic Geometry,Porto, Portugal.
Plenary Speaker, Knots in Washington XVII (December 21)2004
Keynote speaker, Physics and Mathematics of the large N(Planar) Limit in Gauge Theory, conference at Centre de RecherchesMathematiques, Montreal. (January 8, Far Hills Inn, Val Morin)
Colloquium, Rice University, (January 22) Colloquium, American University, (January 28) Colloquium, Northwestern University, (March 10) Geometry Seminar, University of Chicago, (March 11) Geometry Seminar, University of Chicago, (May 4) Co-organizer with V. Charette and T. Drumm, New techniques
in Lorentz manifolds, Banff International. Research Station.(November)
AMS Special Session, Dynamics of Mapping Class Group Ac-tions on Moduli Spaces (40-minute survey talk) Atlanta
Geometric structures on low-dimensional manifolds and theirdeformation spaces, Minicourse, Cuernavaca
Plenary speaker, Bounded Cohomology, Harmonic Maps andHiggs Bundles, Strasbourg and Basel.
Colloquium, Morgan State University Colloquium, Wesleyan University Plenary speaker (and co-organizer), Discrete Groups and Geo-
metric Structures, with Applications (Crystallographic Groupsand their Generalizations IV), Oostende, Belgium, May 29June 2, 2005.
Minicourse, Geometric structures on low-dimensional mani-folds and their deformation spaces, Lisbon Geometry Lectures
Workshop on Lorentzian Geometry, ENS de Lyon Higgs bundles and vector bundles on curves, Madrid Colloquium, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana
W. GOLDMAN 19
Crash course, Mapping Class Group Dynamics on CharacterVarieties, University of Chicago
Pseudo-Riemannian Geometry, Schrodinger Institute, Vienna Mathematical aspects of general relativity,Newton Institute Colloquium, Columbia University
Topology seminar, University of Texas Colloquium, Brown University Colloquium, Pennsylvania State University Lie Groups: Dynamics, Rigidity, Arithmetic, Conference to
honor Gregory Marguliss 60th birthday, Yale University Topology Seminar, University of Wisconsin Co-organizer and speaker,Complex Geometry, Conference to
honor Domingo Toledos 60th birthday, Utah Principal Speaker, Current Developments in Geometric Topol-
ogy, Barrett Lectures, University of Tennessee Teichmuller Spaces: Classical and Quantum, Oberwolfach Invited speaker, Geometry Conference, to honour Nigel Hitchins
60th birthday, Madrid Pacific Northwest Geometry Seminar, Portland State Univ.
Seminar, Insituto Scientifica Tecnica., Lisbon Seminar, University of Porto Panelist (representing AMS), What are the implications of the
new curriculum recommendations for post-secondary educationand employment?, conference on K-12 Mathematics Curricu-lum Standards: What Should Students Learn and When ShouldThey Learn It?, Center for the Study of Mathematics Curricu-lum (CSMC) (http://cltnet.org/cltnet/misc/csmcmath07/),Arlington, Virginia
Dynamics and Geometry Seminars, Yale University Geometry Seminar, Colloquium, Univ. of Georgia Graduate Topology Seminar, Georgia Tech Workshop, Representations of surface groups, American In-
stitute of Mathematics, co-organizer with Steven Bradlow, Os-car Garca-Prada and Anna Wienhard
28th William J. Spencer Lecture, Kansas State Univ. Geometry Seminar, University of Illinois, Chicago Conference to honor Bill Thurstons 60th birthday,
20 W. GOLDMAN
Plenary speaker (two lectures), 7th KAIST Geometric TopologyFair, Gyeongju, Korea
Cluster Algebras Seminar, Universite de Sherbrooke Colloque, Centre de Recherches Mathematiques, Montreal Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Public Lecture, Playing pool
on curved surfaces and the wrong way to add fractions (Octo-ber 8).
Seminar, Teichmuller theory and Kleinian groups program,Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley (Decem-ber 6).
Co-organizer (with V. Charette, K. Melnick and K. Scannell),Special Session, Conformally flat Lorentzian Manifolds, JointMathematics Meetings, San Diego, January 7
Department Colloquium and Lunch Seminar, Princeton Uni-versity, February 6
Seminar organizer and primary speaker, Mapping class groupdynamics on moduli spaces, Princeton University MathematicsDepartment (met weekly all Spring semester)
After Hours Conversations, Equilateral Triangles, Harrys Bar,Institute for Advanced Study, March 3
Co-organizer and speaker, Lie Theory, Geometry and DiscreteGroups, Conference to honor John Millsons 62nd birthdayUniversity of Maryland, March 2023
Department Colloquium, Yale University, April 6 Plenary Speaker (and workshop co-organizer), Fourth Ahlfors-
Bers Colloquium, Rutgers University, Newark, May 8-11 Plenary Speaker, Group-theoretic Methods in the Study of
Algebraic Varieties, Conference to Celebrate Friedrich Hirze-bruchs 80th Birthday, Bar-Ilan University, Israel May 18 25
Scientific Committee, Crystallographic Groups and GeometricStructures, (Crystallographic groups and their generalizationsV) Kortrijk, Belgium, May 26-30
Lecture series in Geometry and dynamics of groups activity,Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, June 23.
Conference on Algebraic and Geometric Topology, Gdansk, Poland,June 9-13
Symplectic Geometry seminar, University of Toronto, August Co-organizer and speaker, Representations of surface groups,
workshop, CIRM Luminy, September
W. GOLDMAN 21
Special Session, Geometry, Algebra, and Topology of Charac-ter Varieties , AMS Annual Meeting, Washington DC
Colloquium, National University of Singapore January 21. Conference on Dynamics of Aut(Fn)-actions on representation
varieties, Sde-Boker, Israel, January 6-11 (invited but declined) Colloquium, Howard University, February 6. Complex Analysis and Dyamics Seminar, Graduate Center CUNY,
New York City, March 4 Research Seminar, Northeastern University, March 10 Department Colloquium, University of Tennessee, March 20 Invited Address, Mathematical Association of America Univer-
sity of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, Virginia April 17-18. Group theory, number theory and geometry, conference in
honor of Fritz Grunewald on his sixtieth birthday, Oxford, 30March - 3 April (invited but declined)
Geometry Seminar, University of Paris Sud (Orsay) May 28 From braid groups to Teichmuller spaces, Luminy workshop,
1 - 5 June Department Colloquium and Seminar, Universite de Rennes , 6
- 11 June Encounters between mathematicians and theoretical physics
Strasbourg, 11 -13 June. NSF-CBMS Conference, Central Connecticut State University,
July 23, 2009, Families of Riemann Surfaces and Weil-PeterssonGeometry (Scott Wolpert, principal speaker)
Seminar, Princeton University, September 20 Colloquium, Temple University, September 21 What is... seminar, University of Michigan, October 13 Colloquium, University of Michigan, October 13 November 16 - 21 Computational Differential Geometry, Topol-
ogy, and Dynamics workshop in thematic program Founda-tions of Computational Mathematics Fields Institute, Toronto.(invited but declined)
December 16- 20, Special Session Geometric structures andGeometric group theory of joint AMS-KMS meeting, Seoul,and possible workshop. (invited but declined)
Miniconference, Geometric structures in 2 and 3 dimensions,Autrans, France, January 17-22
Miniconference, Conformally flat Lorentz manifolds, Prince-ton University, February 1719 (co-organizer and speaker)
22 W. GOLDMAN
Colloquium, University of Maryland, February 26 Geometry Seminar, University of Munich, March 22 Invited Speaker, Second Killing-Weierstrass Colloquium, Braniewo,
Poland, March 24-26. Colloquium, University of Illinois, Chicago, April 23 Co-organizer (with A. Reid, R. Canary and S. Boyer), Charac-
ter Varieties in the Geometry and Topology of Low-dimensionalManifolds, BIRS, Banff April 25-30.
Teichmuller theory and its interactions with Mathematics andPhysics, Barcelona, June 28- July 3.
Co-organizer (with J. Seade, S. Cantat and N. Gusevskii) andlecturer (5 1-hour lecture minicourse), Advanced School andWorkshop on Discrete Groups in Complex Geometry, ICTP,Trieste, Italy, 28 June - 16 July
Co-organizer (with Ser-Peow Tan and Caroline Series), Geome-try, Topology and Dynamics of Character Varieties, Institute ofMathematical Sciences, National University of Singapore July17 August 17, speaker in Conference
Invited Speaker, Geometry Section, International Congress ofMathematicians, Hyderabad, August 19-27
Chair, Organizing committee, Geometry and analysis on mod-uli of Riemann surfaces, symposium in honor of Scott Wolpert,University of Maryland, September 22-24
Colloque sur Representations et les Surfaces, Universite de Sher-brooke, October 2010.
Colloquium, Rice University, January 2011. Topology Seminar, CIRGET, Universite de Quebec a Montreal,
February 18. BIRS Workshop, Frontiers in Complex Dynamics (Celebrat-
ing John Milnors 80th birthday), February 2025. Higher Teichmuller theory, University of Michigan RTG confer-
ence and lecture series (4 lectures), 15-17 April 2011 Scientific Committee and Plenary Talk, 30 May - 2 June, Dis-
crete Groups and Geometric Structures, with Applications IV(CGG VI), Oostende (Belgian coast)
Transformation Groups and Associated Geometric Structures,honoring Herbert Abels 70th Birthday, Bielefeld, June 2-5.
Faces of Geometry: 3-Manifolds, Groups and Singularities AConference in Honor of Walter Neumann, Columbia University,New York, June 610.
W. GOLDMAN 23
Organizer (with V. Charette, D. Cooper and A. Wienhard),Mathematical Research Community, Geometry of Real Projec-tive Structures, 12-18 June, Snowbird, Utah.
Vector Bundles and Algebraic Curves, Newton Institute, Cam-bridge University 27 June 1 July
Geometry and Arithmetic of Lattices, London Mathematical So-ciety Durham Symposium (July 4-14). (3 lectures)
Aspects of hyperbolicity in geometry, topology, and dynamics,A workshop and celebration of Caroline Series 60th birthday25-27 July 2011, University of Warwick
Geometry and Dynamics of Teichmuller Spaces, Seventh WilliamRowan Hamilton Geometry and Topology Workshop to be heldin the Hamilton Mathematics Institute, Trinity College Dublin,Ireland, September 1-3, 2011.
Ergodic decompositions of moduli spaces, Workshop, PrincetonUniversity, October 2011
Distinguished Lecturer, CIMAT, Guanajuato, Mexico, Fall 2011;Colloquium + 2 lectures, November 25
Distinguished Lecturer, Texas A & M, December 5-7 (3 lec-tures)
Research Seminar Organizer (and first speaker), Special TrimesterGeometry and Analysis of Surface Group Representations,Institut Henri Poincare, January-March
Seminar, University of Paris VI (Jussieu), March 13, 2012 Colloquium, Institut Fourier, Grenoble, March 15, 2012 Seminar, University of Paris-Sud, Orsay, March 22, 2012 Master Class (3 lectures), Centro de Recerca Matematica, Bel-
laterra, Spain, April 1012, 2012 Seminar, Institut Mittag Leffler, May 22, 2012 Workshop, Weil-Petersson Dynamics, American Institute of
Mathematics, June 2012 Plenary Speaker, IVth Latin American congress on Lie groups
in Geometry, CIMAT Guanajuato, Mexico, August 2012. Department Colloquium, University of Maryland, October 10,
William Thurston: a Mathematical perspective Department Colloquium, Universite de Sherbrooke, October 12,
William Thurston: a Mathematical perspective Co-organizer (with V. Charette, F. Labourie and A. Wien-
hard) and Speaker, CRM Montreal workshop, Higher Thurston-Teichmuller Theory, October 15-19
24 W. GOLDMAN
Invited 1-hour speaker, 22nd Fall Workshop on ComputationalGeometry, University of Maryland (November 10)
Department Colloquium, McMaster University (November 23) Seminar, University of Toronto (November 26)
Department Colloquium, University of Oregon, January 14; Ge-ometry Seminar, University of Oregon, January 15
Department Colloquium, Howard University, January 25 Advances in Teichmuller Theory, Schrodinger Institute Vienna,
February 4-8. Department Colloquium, Indiana University, February 15. Department Colloquium, Towson University, February 28. 2013 Distinguished Visitor, Department of Mathematics, Ober-
lin College, March 1923 Intistute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (UCLA) workshop,
Dynamics of Groups and Rational Maps, April 8 - 12 Geometry Seminar, University of Toronto, June 28 Differentialgeometrie im Groen, Oberwolfach workshop, June
30-July 6 Co-organizer, Workshop on Exotic Geometric Structures, se-
mester on Low-dimensional Topology, Geometry, and Dynam-ics, Institute for Computation and Experimental Research inMathematics, Brown University; Research Seminar talk, Sep-tember 26
Plenary lecture, Conformal Geometry and Riemann Surfaces:A conference in honor of Professor Ravi S. Kulkarni, QueensCollge, October 2527
Seminar, University of Toronto, November 15 Plenary lecture, Workshop on Character varieties and geomet-
ric structures, Howard University, December 1620
Workshop, New Trends in Teichmuller theory and MappingClass Groups, Oberwolfach, (9-14 February 2014)
Colloquium, University of Pittsburgh, (28 February 2014) Organizing Committee (chair), GEAR Network Retreat, Uni-
versity of Maryland, (17-21 March 2014) Special Session Low-dimensional Topology and Group The-
ory, AMS Sectional meeting March 29-30, 2014, University ofMaryland Baltimore County
Minicourse, Geometric structures and discrete groups, Uni-versity of Texas, Austin, (2-4 May 2014)
W. GOLDMAN 25
Conference, Teichmuller theory and mapping class groups,Kibbutz Hagoshim, Israel, (May 7-14) (invited but declined)
Minicourse Speaker, GGTM Research School, Configurationand moduli spaces in Math. and Physics, In Memory of BillThurston, Rabat, Morocco, (June 3-6, 2014)
Conference (1 lecture) and Minicourse (4 lectures), Teichmullertheory and surfaces in 3-manifolds, Centro di Ricerca Matem-atica Ennio De Giorgi, Pisa (May 26 -June 20, 2014)
Scientific Committee and Plenary Speaker, Groups and Ge-ometry and Spaces, ICM Satellite Conference on GeometricGroup Theory and Geometric Structures KAIST (Daejeon, Ko-rea) (August 712, 2014) (invited but declined)
Colloquium, De Paul University, (September 12) GEAR seminar, University of Illinois, (September 16) Colloquium, George Mason University, (September 19) September, Master Class in Geometry, Samos, Greece (5 lec-
tures, September 2226) SAG seminar, Universite de Sherbrooke, (October 15) CIRGET seminar, Universite de Quebec a Montreal, (October
17) October 18-19, 2014: Invited Address, Meeting of American
Mathematical Society, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Sco-tia. (October 18)
Topology and Dynamics Seminar, George Mason University(November 9)
Dynamics Seminar, University of Maryland (December 11)
Scientific Committee, Semester on Dynamics on Moduli Spacesand Geometric Structures, MSRI, Berkeley, January May
Lead Organizer, Introductory Workshop, MSRI Seminar on Lorentzian Geometric Structures, MSRI (2 lec-
tures) MSRI-Evans Colloquium (March 2) Department Colloquium, University of California, Santa Cruz
(April 19) Bay Area Differential Geometry Seminar, University of Califor-
nia, Santa Cruz (May 2) RIMS workshop, Geometry of Moduli Space of Low Dimen-
sional Manifolds, Kyoto, Japan (December 16)
26 W. GOLDMAN
African Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Conference on Holo-morphic Differentials, Cape Town, South Africa (January 7)
Lecture at Churchill High School, Montgomery County, Mary-land (February 18)
Geometry Seminar and Colloquium, Brown University (Febru-ary 25)
Colloquium, National University of Singapore, 21 March 2016 Invited Speaker, Dynamics, Geometry and Number Theory in
honor of the 70th birthday of Gregory Margulis Institut HenriPoincare, Paris, June 13-17, 2016.
Invited Speaker, Conference in honor of the 70th birthday ofNigel Htchin, Oxford University, 9-11 September 2016
Virginia Topology Conference, University of Virginia, 18-20 No-vember 2016
Colloquium, California Institute of Technology, 14 February2017
Geometry/Topology Seminar, Temple University, 1 March 2017 Geometry/Topology Seminar, Oxford University, 12 June Nonpositive curvature group actions and cohomology, Isaac New-
ton Institute, Cambridge, June 23 Invited Speaker, Monopoles, Gauge theory and Integrable Sys-
tems, a conference in honor of Jacques Hurtubise, Centre deRecherches Mathematiques, Montreal, August 21-25
Geometry Seminar, Brown University, 13 September Dynamics Seminar, University of Chicago, 25 September Geometry Seminar, Harvard University, 31 October Geometry/Topology Seminar, Northeastern University, 7 No-
vember ICTS MInicourse Geometry, groups and dynamics, and Dis-
cussion Meeting, Surface group representations and geometricstructures, Bangalore, India, 6-24 November (invited but de-clined)
Colloquium, University of Missouri, March 22 Invited Speaker, Characters in low-dimensional topology A
conference in honour of Steven Boyer, Montreal, June 48 , Faculty, Summer Undergraduate Program, ICERM Low Di-
mensional Topology and Geometry, (June 11 ? August 3) Invited Speaker, Representation Varieties and geometric struc-
tures in low dimensions, University of Warwick, July 2-8
W. GOLDMAN 27
Invited Speaker, Geodesics on hyperbolic manifolds and re-lated topics, honoring Ara Basmajian, Connecticut College,August 8-10
Oberwolfach workshop, New Trends in Teichmuller Theoryand Mapping Class Groups September 2 - 8
Grants and Awards
Simons Sabbatical Grant (2014-2015) American Mathematical Society Fellow (inaugural group, 2013) Research Networks in Mathematical Sciences Grant, with Steven
Bradlow (UIUC), Steven Kerckhoff (Stanford), Richard Went-worth (Maryland) and Anna Wienhard (Princeton/Maryland),NSF 2011 ($5 M for 2011-2016) GEometric structures And Rep-resentations (GEAR)
Focused Research Group Award, Deformation theory of geo-metric structures, with Daryl Cooper (UCSB), Gregory Mar-gulis and Yair Minsky (Yale), and Anna Wienhard (Princeton),NSF 2011
Research and Scholarship Award 2010 (University of Maryland) University of Maryland Distinguished Scholar-Teacher 2007 Faculty Mentor (for Rachel Kirsch), Philip Merrill Presidential
Scholars Program 2009-2010 NSF Research Grants 1981present
Most recent award: DMS1709791(5-year award) NSF Travel grant for US participants at CIRM conference,
Representations of surface groups, September 1-5 2008. NSF Travel grant for US participants at 2010 ICTP conference
on Complex geometry..., Trieste, Italy. NSF Travel grant for US participants for 2010 IMS conference
on Geometry, topology and dynamics of character varieties,Singapore.
NSF Travel grant for US participants for 2012 ICTS Conferenceon Geometry, groups and dynamics, Almora, India (Decem-ber 317)
NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship 198081 NSF Graduate Fellowship 197780 MSRI Postdoctoral Fellowship, 19841985 Alfred P.Sloan Foundation Fellow 198789 SERC Visiting Fellowship, Oxford University (sponsored by
Professor S. K. Donaldson) Supplemental NSF grant to bring Michael Kapovich to Univer-
sity of Maryland Mathematics Department, 19911992
28 W. GOLDMAN
Supplemental NSF grant to bring Simon Donaldson to Univer-sity of Maryland Mathematics Department, 19921993
University of Maryland Semester Research Awards,Fall 1998, Fall 2005.
Principal Investigator, departmental NSF grant for computerequipment (SCREMS), 1986
Co-Principal Investigator (with H.Glaz), NSF (SCREMS) grantfor computer equipment for University of Maryland Mathemat-ics Department, 1990
Co-Principal Investigator (with H.Glaz), NSF (SCREMS) grantfor computer equipment for University of Maryland Mathemat-ics Department, 1992
Co-Principal Investigator (with H.Glaz), GRB grant for com-puter equipment for University of Maryland Mathematics De-partment, 1994
Selection Committee for the King Faisal International Prize inScience (2018) (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia)
American Mathematical Society, Committee on the Profession(2012)
Director/co-founder, Experimental Geometry Lab (2000). Editor-in-chief, Geometriae Dedicata (20032013). (editorial
board since 1999), Honorary Editor (2013 ) Advisory Board, Mathematics Research Communities, Ameri-
can Mathematical Society, February 2010January 2013 Scientific Advisory Panel, Fields Institute (20122016) External Review Committee for Mathematics Department, Bing-
hamton University, (April 2013) Selection Committee, 2009 Distinguished Scholar-Teachers, Uni-
versity of Maryland Selection Committee, Kirwan Award for Undergraduate Teach-
ing, University of Maryland 2009 Member-At-Large, AMS Council (20062009). AMS Committee on Education (20062009). Principal Investigator, Maryland VIGRE program (20042010). Chair, External Review Committee,
Department of Mathematics, National University of Singapore,March 2016
Chair, External Review Committee,Department of Mathematics and Institute of Mathematical Sci-ences, Stony Brook University, March 2006.
W. GOLDMAN 29
Review Committee for VIGRE program,University of Wisconsin, March 2006.
Scientific Committee, Ahlfors-Bers Colloquium 2008 2014 Scientific Committee, Summer School/Workshop/Conference,
Institute of Mathematics, National University of Singapore, Sum-mer 2010
Co-director, School and Conference on Discrete Groups in Com-plex Geometry and Dynamics, ICTP, Trieste, June 28 July14, 2010 (also presented a course of 5 75-minute lectures in theSummer School)
Co-organizer, BIRS workshop Geometry of Character Vari-eties, Banff, May 2010
Scientific Committee, 14 - 18 March 2011 Representations ofSurface Groups and Higgs Bundles (A Satellite Meeting at theUniversity of Oxford), part of Newton Institute semester-longactivity on Moduli Spaces
Co-organizer, Maryland Dynamics Conference, 2- 5 April 2011 Advisory Board, Ramanujan Math. Soc. Lecture Notes Series Managing Editor, Transformation Groups (2000-2002),
Editorial Board (20022010). Panelist, Project NeXT panel discussion on Graduate Educa-
tion, Joint Mathematics Meetings, January 2007. Search Committee, Mathematics Department Chair (2006-2007) Board of Governors, Geometry Center, University of Minnesota,
19941996. Advisory Subcommittee for Karin Melnicks tenure (2013) Advisory Subcommittee for in Christian Zickerts tenure (2016) NSF site visit for Institute for Advanced Study, November 2016 NSF panels for research grants, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 Selection Panel for NSF Graduate Fellowships, 2005 Selection Panel for NSF Postdoctoral Fellowships, 2009, 2010,
2015 (Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowships) Selection Panel for NSF Special Meetings, 2009 Organizer, Reception at JMM for University of Maryland Math-
ematics Department Alumni and Friends, 2007, 2008, 2009. US Observer for European Science Foundation Research Net-
working Program, Interactions of Low-Dimensional Topologyand Geometry with Mathematical Physics
Scientific Committee, Trimestre at Institut Henri Poincare, Jan-uary - March 2011 (with O. Guichard, J.-M. Schlenker and A.Wienhard), Geometry and Analysis of Surface Group Repre-sentations
30 W. GOLDMAN
Scientific Committee, Trimester at Centro de Recerca Math-ematica, Barcelona, March May 2011 (with Luis Alvarez-Consul, S. Bradlow, Peter Gothen, I. Mundet i Riera, ), Re-search Programme on Geometry and Quantization of ModuliSpaces
Scientific Committee, Workshop at Annee Thematique, Cen-tre de Recherches Mathematiques, Montreal (with V. Charette,F. Labourie and A. Wienhard), Higher Thurston-TeichmullerTheory October 17, 2012
Scientific Committee, Groups, Geometry and Dynamics 2012,Kumaun University, Almora, Uttarakhand, India, December12-19, 2012
Organizing Committe, Workshop on Exotic Geometric Struc-tures, ICERM, Brown University, September 15-20, 2013
Scientific Committee, ICM Satellite Conference on. GeometricGroup Theory & Geometric Structures, August 7 12, 2014.KAIST, Korea, 2014
Scientific Committee, Ahlfors-Bers Colloquium VI, Yale Uni-versity, October 2326
Scientific Committee, Semester at MSRI, Berkeley (with R. Ca-nary, F. Labourie, H. Masur and A. Wienhard), Spring 2015
Teaching: (since 2000)
F2000: Differential Geometry (436) F2000: Symplectic Topology (748C) F2001: Lie Groups (744) S2002: Lie Algebras (744) F2002: Differential Geometry (436) F2002: Riemann Surfaces (669R) S2003: Linear Algebra (461) S2003: Riemann Surfaces (669S) F2003: Differential Equations (246) F2003: Differential Geometry (436) S2004: Differential Forms (437) F2004: Differential Geometry (436) F2004: Euclidean and non-Euclidean Geometry (430) S2005: Differential Forms (437) S2006: Hyperbolic Manifolds (748G) F2006: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) F2006: Fundamental Concepts of Topology (730) F2003: Differential Geometry (436) S2004: Differential Forms (437)
W. GOLDMAN 31
F2004: Differential Geometry (436) F2004: Euclidean and non-Euclidean Geometry (430) S2005: Differential Forms (437) S2006: Hyperbolic Manifolds (748G) F2006: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) F2006: Fundamental Concepts of Topology (730) F2007: Geometric Structures on Manifolds (748) F2008: Differential Geometry (748) F2008: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) S2009: Differential Geometry (748) F2009: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) F2009: Undergraduate Differential Geometry (436) S2010: Geometric Structures on Manifolds (748) F2010: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) F2010: Graduate Differential Geometry (740) S2011: Differential Forms (437) F2011: Projective Geometry on Manifolds (748) F2012: Dynamical Systems (642) S2013: Differential Forms (437) F2013: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) S2014: Differential Forms (437) F2015: Geometric Structures on Manifolds (848G) F2015: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) S2016: Graduate Differential Geometry (740) F2016: Projective Geometry for Computer Graphics (431) F2016: Riemann Surfaces (848D) S2017: Dynamics on Moduli Spaces (848R) F2017: (Brown University) Geometric Structures on Manifolds S2018: Graduate Differential Geometry (740)