1. BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEENACADEMICS AND INDUSTRYEXPECTATIO NS
2. What Colleges Teach? Theoretical knowledge of markets and trends in industry Tried and tested ways of getting a white colored job Strategies to compete in competitive environment
3. What Students Absorb? A degree is sufficient to get a job Set up unrealistic expectations in terms of salary, timing and mobility. Knowledge earned from a degree is sufficient to survive in corporate world
4. What Industry Wants? A work Attitude Strong analytical, listening and communication skills Team player, collaborative approach motivated, committed, dedicated Basic understanding of the business and its processes. Ability to learn and unlearn
5. The GAP (Area of Concern) Students expectations Industry expectations Knowledge and skill sets industry expectations
6. What can be done Industry interaction with the students should be increased Frequent visits to corporate houses will make students accustomed to corporate ways More internships, workshops and live projects can become a part of students curriculum Students should be more involved in placement process to have better understanding of industry.
7. Case StudyWhat I learned in college? Theoretical knowledge Tried and tested skills Sheetal Sharma Limited methodologies to solve problems MBA MarketingWhat I experienced in industry? B.Sc - Zoology Corporate life comes with challenges everyday 24 Years Work attitude needs to be cultivated Theoretical knowledge gained cannot be applied to practical application every timeWhere is the gap? Students expectations in terms of work environment, salary and job profile is not realistic Faces tough situations at workplace due to lack of attitudeWhat can be done? Industry expert interaction should be increased More and more workshops/seminars should be planned
8. Case StudyWhat I learned in college? Tried and tested methods of solving problem Theoretical approach to decision making J Kanthi Priya Unorganized process orientation MBA Marketing &What I experienced in industry? HR Risk analysis and real time problem solving BBA - Marketing Spontaneous and balanced decision making 23 Years Organized and structured orientedWhere is the gap? Lack of expertise in a particular domain Difference between Perception and reality of ownership and responsibilityWhat can be done? Academics based on practical education from industry experts Introduction to graduate executive programs in Indian education system