2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 1
ON & Around LBION & Around LBISummer 2012
2 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
SALES FULL SERVICE MARINANOW FEATURING 2 GREAT LOCATIONS
Marina325 South 1st St.,Surf City
Show Room337 West 8th St.
(Outbound Causeway)Ship Bottom
Fun Begins On The Water
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 3
Clothingfor Men, Women
5th & Blvd.Surf City
28th & Blvd.Ship Bottom207-6703
Taylor & Bay Ave.Beach Haven
Family Owned & Operated for Over 40 Years
Best Surf Shopmyfoxphilly's
HOT LIST2008, 2009,
4 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Pretzel TwistsCinnamon Sugar Twists
Hot Dog PretzelsCheesesteak Pretzels
FREE Curbside Delivery!325 9TH ST. & BAY AVE., BEACH HAVEN
MENTION THIS AD AND GET
Not Valid with other offers. Valid at participating locations.
15 PRETZEL T WISTS$13 00
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 5
CHEESE PIZZA PIZZA MAR-GARITA COUNTRY STYLE
PIZZA VEGETABLE PIZZA SPINA-CIO PIZZA BROCCOLO PIZZA BUF-
FALO CHICKEN PIZZA BARBECUE CHICKEN PIZZA MEXICAN PIZZA FOUR CHEESE PIZZA PESTO PIZZA PIZZA BIANCO HAWAIIAN PIZZA
CHEESE STEAK PIZZA CHICKEN CHEESE STEAK PIZZA COUNTRY STYLE PIZZA WITH AN- CHOVIES - SICILIAN PIZZA EXTRA CHEESE PIZZA MEATBALL PIZZA TOMATO PIZZA PEPPERONI PIZZA GREEN PEPPER PIZZA GREEN PEP-PER & ONION PIZZA FRESH GARLIC PIZZA SAUSAGE PIZZA HOT PEPPER PIZZA EXTRA SAUCE PIZZA MUSHROOM PIZZA ONION PIZZA ANCHOVY PIZZA BLACK OLIVE PIZZA EGGPLANT PIZZA BACON PIZZA SPINACH PIZZA HAM PIZZA BROCCOLI PIZZA CHICKEN PIZZA PINEAPPLE PIZZA SUNDRIED TOMATO PIZZA RICOTTA CHEESE PIZZA EXTRA CHEESE & PEPPERONI PIZZA MEATBALLS & SAUSAGE PIZZA MUSHROOMS & GREEN PEPPER PIZZA HAM & BACON PIZZA TOMATO & GARLIC PIZZA HOT PEPPERS & PEPPERONI PIZZA CHICKEN & SPINACH PIZZA TOMATO & BLACK OLIVE PIZZA PESTO & SUNDRIED TOMATO PIZZA - RICOTTA CHEESE & SUNDRIED TOMATO PIZZA EXTRA CHEESE & BROCCOLI PIZZA SAUSAGE & MUSHROOM PIZZA MEATBALLS & RICOTTA CHEESE PIZZA SUNDRIED TOMATOES & BLACK OLIVE PIZZA EXTRA CHEESE & TOMATOES & EGGPLANT PIZZA BACON & PINEAPPLE PIZZA PES-TO & CHICKEN PIZZA PINEAPPLE & EXTRA CHEESE PIZZA MEATBALLS & MUSHROOMS & PEPPERONI PIZZABLACK OLIVES & ONION PIZZA MUSHROOMS & EGGPLANT PIZZA BROCCOLI & MUSHROOM PIZZA PES-TO & TOMATO PIZZA SPINACH & SAUSAGE PIZZA CHICKEN & BROCCOLI PIZZA HAM & PINEAPPLE & BARBECUE SAUCE PIZZA PIZZA BIANCO & ONIONS EXTRA CHEESE & SAUSAGE & PEPPERONI PIZZAMEATBALLS & GREEN PEPPER PIZZA EXTRA SAUCE & ANCHOVY PIZZA SUNDRIED TOMATOES & BROC-COLI PIZZA CHEESE STEAK PIZZA & BLACK OLIVES CHICKEN CHEESE STEAK PIZZA & EXTRA CHEESE & ONION - FOUR CHEESE PIZZA & SUNDRIED TOMATOES BARBECUE CHICKEN PIZZA & PINEAPPLE BROC-COLO PIZZA & SUNDRIED TOMATOES FOUR CHEESE PIZZA & SPINACH HAM & SAUSAGE PIZZA TOMATO & BROCCOLI PIZZA MEATBALLS & RICOTTA CHEESE PIZZA PIZZA MARGHERITA & BROCCOLI VEGETABLE PIZZA & RICOTTA CHEESE MEXICAN PIZZA & CHICKEN- PIZZA BIANCO & SPINACH -COUNTRY STYLE PIZZA & HOT PEPPERS FOUR CHEESE PIZZA & MUSHROOMS EGGPLANT & SPINACH & BROCCOLI PIZZA RICOTTA CHEESE & PINEAPPLE PIZZA EGGPLANT & TOMATO PIZZA CHICKEN & SUNDRIED TOMATO PIZZA BACON & ONION PIZZA HAM & GREEN PEPPER PIZZA EXTRA CHEESE & SAUSAGE & MEATBALL PIZZA FRESH GARLIC & SPINACH PIZZA CHICKEN & GREEN PEPPER & ONIONS PIZZA PEPPERONI & BLACK OLIVE PIZZA PIZZA BIANCO & PINEAPPLE BROCCOLI & FRESH GARLIC PIZZA AND YOUR FAVORITE PIZZA!!
NOT ALL PIZZAS AND TOPPINGS AVAILABLE AT OUR SURF CITY LOCATION
99 Pizzas toEat at Panzones
The Best Pizzaon the Island, Hands Down!
NJ Monthly June 2012
PANZONES PIZZAOF SURF CITY
22ND & BLVDSURF CITY
PANZONES PIZZA & PASTA 11 TH & BLVD
BEACH HAVEN 609.492.5103
6 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Best of the Shore, Philadelphia MagazineBest of the Shore, Philadelphia Magazine
ON & OFF PREMISE CATERING WEDDINGS & REHEARSAL DINNERS Serving Lunch & DinnerReservations Accepted
The Islands greatest selection of East & West coast oysters!
Bike it to the Bistro and get 10% off dinner entrees!!
609-492-61002nd Floor Bay Village 9th Street and Bay Beach Haven
the bistro, de ned:simple, generous, delicious food
warm, friendly, casual atmospherelaughter, conversation, good times with friends both old & new
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 7
99 Ways to Have Fun On &Around LBI
1. Classic. Scale Barnegat Lighthouse. Vary the adventure by videotaping the ascent, the conquering (topside) and the descent.
2. Look for sand dollars on newly replenished beaches in Brant Beach. 3. Make plaster images of footprints in the sand. Putting foot imprints into the harder sand near the surf is best. Make an entire imprint museum of family and visitors.
4. Dedicate a day to bay crabbing. Stop by any bait and tackle shop for all equipment needs and tips on hot spots.
5. Bike and video. To that summer favorite biking, add one of the new video cameras, then while away the miles, recording every inch of the journey. So what if its occasionally kinda uneventful? Watching it later, in winter, is mesmerizing.
8 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Visit us On Line: http://www.bhparasail.comVisit us On Line: http://www.bhparasail.com
Perfect Safety Record!Perfect Safety Record!
BEACH HAVEN PARASAILOur 22nd Season on LBI
View the Island and Ocean from the comfort of the calm warm bay waters
The Original LBI Parasailing
Located at Bay Haven MarinaLocated at Bay Haven Marina
2702 Long Beach Blvd.,2702 Long Beach Blvd.,BEACH HAVEN GARDENSBEACH HAVEN GARDENS
6. Head out in a head boat. Even if you have your very own vessel, theres
something cool about going out with a gang and seeing if you can out sh all of them.
7. Take a beachside sunrise photo of the sky and yourself every morning, for weeks. It often shows what the previous night was like.
8. Create an LBI song list for a portable media player. Include classics and new sounds that fully relate to Island times. Share the collection on-line.
9. Make an entire LBI movie, including some rehearsed and scripted scenes. Add above song list as a soundtrack. Cannes, here you come.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 9
10. Make plenty of time for the Museum of New Jersey Maritime History, bayside Dock Road in Beach Haven. In just a few short years this has become one of the states de nitive maritime history showcases. See more at http://www.museumofnjmh.org/.
11. Collect vials of LBI sand to exchange with sand collectors around the world. Check out World Atlas of Sands, a collectors website. Its not uncommon to quickly amass sand from hundreds of exotic locales.
12. Make Shore Enchiladas. Use all-local seafood in this Tex-Mex staple. Maybe add some
seaweeds purchased from specialty shops.
13. On a scaldingly hot day, bring a large cooler lled with bottled water and hand it out to nearby thirsty-looking folks. A great icebreaker when meeting new people.
10 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Easy To Reach Via NJ Garden State Parkway Exit 63 Prices Subject to Change Without Notice
BAIT & TACKLE BOATING FAMILY FUNVOTED BEST OF THE JERSEY SHOR E by Ph i ladelph ia Magaz ine
SHIP BOTTOM MAR INE CENTER
PONTOON FAMILY PACK Day Pontoon Rental
2 Traps 1 Bucket
$249.95Gas Charges Additional
CRABBING BOAT 2 PACK Day Boat
2 Traps 1 Bucket
$79.95Gas Charges Additional
* BOAT RENTAL PACKAGES*
WAVERUNNER RENTAL$5.00 OFF
Hour RentalWe honor competitors coupons
Must Have Valid Drivers Licence
2601 CENTRAL AVE.SHIP BOTTOM, LBI, NJ (609) 494-8100
Family Pontoon Boat, Waverunner & Kayak Rentals
14. Get into bodysur ng, the oldest form of waveriding. A pair of swimming ippers is essential to conquer larger waves. Remember to ride left or right, not straight in.
15. Do a local cleanup. Yes, this can be a fun thing. Pick an area you frequent that could use an eco-hand. Remove trash and such. Afterward, its your zone. Its a bonding thing.
16. Classic: Walk the new South Jetty in Barnegat Light. Just remember this is not a tot walk. There are some serious crevices between stones, especially toward the end, where things can get slippery. Still a fun time and great view. Note: The jetty can also be walked on the sand adjacent to it on the south side.
17. New for 2012: Find a small, heavy-duty, non-glass container and ll it
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 11
34th St. & Blvd. Beach Haven Terrace609-492-1200
OPEN DAILY 11AM OPEN ALL YEAR
Crisp Pizza Fresh Salads
Delicious PaninisPhilly Cheesesteaks
Black Angus Burgers
Eat in or Take-Out
Open DailyAt 7:30am
Breakfast,Lunch & Dinner
MORNING PAPER & HOT CAPPUCCINO...For Your Weekend Respite
LUNCH AL FRESCO...Lobster Roll & Chowder While The World Rushes By
SUNSET DINNER WITH YOUR FAVORITE VINO...Accompanied By Swaying Dune Grass
LIFE IS BETTER AT BLUE WATER CAFE!
2404 LONG BEACH BLVD.SPRAY BEACH ON THE BAY
609-492-8466FULL MENU AVAILABLE FOR TAKEOUT
A Jersey Shore Classic
BREAKFAST & LUNCHOpen Daily 7am
Now Featuring...Home Cooked Dinners
Starting at 4pmFriday Saturday Sunday
Italian Coastal Cuisine
19th St. and LBI Blvd.Beach Haven609-492-1100
Now AcceptingLimited Reservations
Open Daily at 5pm Full Menu Available
Great Chowder Cook-OffGreat Chowder Cook-OffNewport, Rhode IslandNewport, Rhode Island
We Brought The TitleWe Brought The TitleFrom Newport To LBI!From Newport To LBI!
Available atAvailable atOur 4 LocationsOur 4 Locations
12 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Summer is here. Time for some serious outdoor fun and relaxation. Turn your backyard into a great summer gathering
place for friends and family.
SLIP INTO SLIP INTO SUMMERSUMMER
LBI HotSpring SpasLBI HotSpring Spas
20 Spas On Display20 Spas On DisplayOne For Every Budget and Style!One For Every Budget and Style!
319 W. 8th St.Ship Bottom
1400 Grand Central Ave.Lavallette
We Take Trades
Our Service is Our Service is Second to NoneSecond to None
*FINANCING AVAILABLE TO QUALIFIED BUYERS
Visit our website for Summer Specials!
with symbolic goodies. Bury it, fairly deeply, adjacent to a favorite jetty. Upbeach is best. In future summers dig it back up and update. Every time you pass that jetty, itll have special hidden meaning.
18. Hold an in-house shing competition. No, you dont sh in the house, you sh beach, bay, boat or head boat
and let the hooking decide the winner.
19. Go to the docks near Viking Village, Barnegat Light, and watch the returning charters. Nothing wrong with asking, Whadja catch?
20. Take the frequently run Viking Village dock tours. 21. Go to the Barnegat Light Museum located in a 106-year-old restored schoolhouse. Check out the treasure map. Then gaze in awe at the First Order Flashing Lens from the Barnegat Lighthouse, built by French physicist Augustin Fresnel. Find out more at http://www.bl-hs.org/.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 13
Junior Surf Camp: Surf & Sports Camp: Coed Ages 5-13 Every other Wed-Fri 1:00-5:30 Starting 7/4 Low camper to instructor ratio More than 12 engaging activities
LBI Campswww.lbisur ng.comSur ng Lessons
609-494SURF7 8 7 3
Sign up today space is limited!
Coed Students Ages 8-13 Every Tues & Thurs 9:00-12:00 or 2:00-5:00 Two to one instruction Soft-top surfboards and wetsuits provided free
Just two short blocksto the ocean and just
one mile north of Beach Havensshopping and amusement areas.
2600 North Bay Ave.Spray Beach, NJ
Visit Our Websitewww.buccaneermotel.com
Relax in our heated indoor and outdoor pools.Bring your boat to our private dock.
Bay front ef ciency suites with whirlpool tub, in room safes and private decks.
Picnic by the bay using our gas grills and picnic area.Wireless Internet access.
22. Have a binocular day. Be it bird, boat or surfer watching, a good look through binoculars brings many out-there things into focus.
14 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
LU N C H D I N N E R I C E C R E A M
OPEN FOR OUR 26TH SEASONDo Me a FlavorDo Me a Flavor
Open DailyOpen Daily11am-10pm
Inside & Outside Seating Full Take Out ServiceInside & Outside Seating Full Take Out Service309 Centre St. Beach Haven 309 Centre St. Beach Haven 609-492-8259609-492-8259
DAILY BLACKBOARDSPECIALSPats Famous
POT ROAST PLATTER
Served Every Friday
Mondays & Thursdays
Back by Popular Demand
FISH TACOSMoms Meatloa
Now Served Everyday
Featuring Arctic Premium Ice
23. Perennial favorite: t h u n d e r s t o r m watching. Tune in to the Weather Channel or the skies and take a bayside, street-end
seat to watch an amazing lightshow, especially at night. First sign of drips and its time to bolt. Do not try this oceanside, lest you become one with the lightning.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 15
Mr. Tees Shark Island 36 Hole Golf & Arcade
18 W. 18th St. N. Beach Haven( block in on bay side)
Mr. Tees Victorian Gardensor Teeki Island Golf & Arcade
Bay & engleside Ave. Beach HavenGOLF TOURNAMENTS
every Wednesday and Thursday at 9am
This Coupon is worthThis Coupon is worth100 Points100 Points
At the Prize CounterAt the Prize Counter Limit 1 coupon per personLimit 1 coupon per person
$$110000Per PlayerPer Player with this couponwith this coupon
& ARCADEMINI GO
LFLM N O
LFI GOLMINI GOLF
24. Walk the Causeway bridges. This is not really a family thing and is kinda spooky, both traf c- and
elevation-wise, but the view from the top is fairly awesome. Remember to always walk on the side facing the traf c.
16 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Womens & Childrens Wear
Coastal Decor & Gifts
Sea Bags(recycled sails)
S. Carolina (112th St.) & L.B.Blvd., Haven Beach 6093610361
Youll love the new Fisheads expanded womens wear,
more for children, incredible gifts for your home!
25. Taste a new and/or freaky seafood item. Be it served in a restaurant or purchased from a shery, pick an item or seafood type youve never tried. If youre a do-it-yourselfer, ask about cooking instructions. Squid ink sacs are supposedly good. (Not really.)
26. Try some sushi f i rs thand. With all the ultra-fresh seafood hereabouts, its a blast and safe to try your hand at making the sushi rice and cutting wafer-thin portions of fresh seafood. It can be tasty and/or make you appreciate the talents of local sushi chefs. Wasabe and
pickled ginger remain essential sides.
27. Run a bit. This is obviously a well-known fun thing, but taking it slow and touristy absorbing all the LBI sights and sounds offers this otherwise tedious activity an air of fun sea air, of course.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 17
Owned by the Coyle familyand celebrating 50 years of
fashion, these two upscale shops have a vast collection
of designer wear
The Mens Shop
The LadiesBeach Shop
Summer Hours:Sunday thru Friday 10-6
Saturday 10-7 S. Carolina & L.B. Blvd., Haven Beach
One of the East Coast's largestselection of TOMMY BAHAMA
Featuring classic and tropicalsportswear by: Polo-Ralph Lauren,
Cutter & Buck, Ping, Southern Tide, Margaritaville, Guy Harvey, Week-
ender and Hook & Tackle.
Sophisticated swimwear.Clean and classic to a little bit
daring. Tommy Bahama, Ralph Lauren, Gottex, CoCoReef, Miracle
Suit & more. 1 piece, 2 piece, Tankinis & Separates. Beach Skirts
& Cover-Ups Handbags & Accessories
28. Bagels at sunrise enough said. 29. Read into the past. There are loads of excellent history books fully focused on LBI. They offer vivid photographs and anecdotes of the areas soundly dynamic past. Theres an odd feeling when reading about great storms while luxuriating lazily on a sunny beach where pieces of wrecked ships once washed ashore.
18 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Specialty CakesFresh Daily or Made to Order
ExceptionalGifts Holly Yashi Jewelry Over 200 Crafters Fine Wood, Glass, Ceramics
609-492-5060 upstairs Bay Village
1 FREE QUES1 FREE QUESTIONTIONBy PhoneBy Phone
Bay Village, 9th & Bay,Beach Haven 609.492.6932Bay Village, 9th & Bay,Beach Haven 609.492.6932908 Long Beach Blvd, Surf City 609.848.9990908 Long Beach Blvd, Surf City 609.848.9990
by Miss Lisa
New New Locatio
Fashions For Adults, Teens & KidsFashions For Adults, Teens & KidsGreat Selection, Quality & PricesGreat Selection, Quality & Prices
9th &The Bay
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 19
Locally Roasted BeansHerbal Teas Snacks
Coffee Drinks Cold DrinksSweets
Buy 2 lbs. CoffeeGet 3rd lb. OFF
with this coupon
Open Daily 7:30amOpen Daily 7:30am
Lip Balm Mints Soap Wallets Air Freshener Bumper Stickers
Jelly Beans Bandages Toothpaste
PS. 35 STYLES OF DUCKS
INDIAN SUMMERINDIAN SUMMERBra FittedBra Fitted
BathingBathingSuits For ASuits For APerfect FitPerfect Fit
SizesSizes30-4230-42A-HA-H 609-492-9309609-492-9309 sundaes smoothies shakes
TThe he WWindmillindmill
ndaes smoothies shakBelgian WafflesBelgian Waffles
9th &The Bay
TROLLBEADSCreate Your Own Memorable Trollbeads
Bracelet or Necklacewith Beautiful Glass and Silver Beads
Jewelry Accessories Gifts Cards
Hand Painted Signs
Free Trollbead Braceletwith clasp purchase
20 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
30. Check out summers most secret piece of fully undeveloped and natural real estate: the Dike section of High Bar Harbor, a state park on the Islands north end. Just dont park in the cul-de-sac. The view of Old Barney from the Dikes east side is incredible and from a wholely different perspective. The walk to the Dikes end, at Double Creek Channel, is a solid half-mile.
31. In the dark of night, walk the wet sand near the ocean and kick up some phosphorescence. One of LBIs simple and soothing pleasures.
32. Volunteer. Be it church or civic organizations, offer your services, if only for a short stint.
You meet folks, often locals, and get a real feel for Island life.
33. Hit outside bars. This is a more adult thing but real fun. A few nightclubs have their special hang-out bars on the outside. Music, food, sun, pool its what summer is all about. Just remember to sip drinks and not gulp them mightily to cure that hot-day dehydration. Apparently, dancing on balcony railings is frowned upon in this establishment.
34. Fudge out. Fudge is one the tastiest, self-indulgent aspects of lovin life on LBI. For added emphasis, try some out-there avors. Folks have been known to place a square of fudge in a dish with avored brandy to be eaten with a spoon.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 21
Pastas * Fresh Seafood * SandwichesSushi * Kids Menu
Now Serving Live LobstersDaily Specials
Open 9am - 10pm 492-5811
Join Us For Sunset!
Indoor/Outdoor SeatingOverlooking The Bay
Handmade & Unique GiftsAll Occasion Balloons!!
Schooners WharfBeach Haven(609)207-6032
Fourth Season!!Fourth Season!!In The Tivoli Schooner...In The Tivoli Schooner...
SCHOONERS WHARF 325 Ninth St. Beach Haven 609-492-37111702 LB Blvd., Ship Bottom 609-494-4608
SSchooners chooners WWharfharf9th& The Bay BeachHaven
The GazebosSUSHI BAR492-5677 492-5811
Eat In or Take Out
Open Daily at 11:00am
Overlooking The Bay
Brown Rice AvailableSushi Sashimi California RollsHand Rolls Specialty Platters
Come Visit Schooners
22 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
35. Do a family bodyboarding session. Rental and surf shops have loads of boards. Get everyone in the clan on a Boogie Board and hit the waves all at once. The more the merrier on a given wave. Make sure to use those leashes. Flippers really help.
36. Keep a day-to-day summer accounting. No, its not really a diary. Its an intimate written documentation of the highpoints of an LBI day. There have been just such daily LBI life records kept dating back to the 1800s.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 23
DISCOUNT PACKAGES AVAILABLE
WALK-INSWELCOMEMATS TO LOANAT NO COST
Yoga Studio Organic Boutique Pilates Therapeutic Massage
go to www.yoganine.com
See Our CompleteWorkshop Listing
First Class for New Clients
at Yoga Nine $10.00 with this ad
Summer 2012 ScheduleMay 28 through September 3
2512 Long Beach Blvd, Ship Bottom, NJ609.494.9299
MON8:30a-10:00aYoga Flow (Plus)10:15a-11:30aGentle Yoga5:30p-6:45pYoga Flow
TUE8:30a-9:45aYoga Technique10:00a-11:15aYoga Flow (Plus)4:30p-5:45pGentle / Chair Yoga6:00p-7:30pYoga FlowWED8:30a-9:45a
Yoga Flow (Plus)10:00a-11-15aGentle Yoga4:30p-5:45pYin Yoga6:00p-7:30pYoga Flow (Plus)
THUR8:30a-9:45aAll Levels Yoga10:00a-11-15aPilates Mat5:30p-6:45pGentle Yoga
FRI8:30a-9:45aYoga Technique10:00a-11:30aYoga Flow (Plus)
SAT8:00a-9:15aGentle Yoga9:30a-11:00aYoga Flow (Plus)
SUN8:00a-9:15aYoga Flow9:30a-10:45aGentle Yoga
Mid Week Music & Flow:Live Music During Wednesday Flow Class
check yoganie.com for schedule
37. Become a sketcher. Doesnt matter if you couldnt draw a stick gure if someone spotted you the sticks. Just put pencil, pen or charcoal to paper and interpret Island LBI things as you see them.
38. Drop pounds through dancing. Hit the dance bars and forget the stools. Rock out until the skinny cows come home. There are enough rocking nighttime establishments out there to drop a ton.
39. Hunt sand crabs, technically mole crabs. This kiddy pastime never grows old. But make sure to allow the crabs to grow old by releasing them after hanging out with them.
24 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
BLT ClubTuna Melt
Buffalo Chicken SaladChicken Taco SaladItalian Chicken CaesarCalifornia Cobb SaladChicken Finger Platter Fried Chicken PlatterTuscan ChickenGobbler WrapBig TunaHot Roast BeefGlazed HamHealthy ChickenBuffalo Veggie BurgerSpicy Chicken and Shrimp AlfredoChicken Pot PieBackyard BBQ Chicken PlatterHot Turkey PlatterLip Smackin RibsPrime Rib PlatterJumbo CrabcakesCarolina CookoutSloppy JoeSloppy FriesChicken and Waf esBuffalo Veggie Wing Wrap
Crabby ClamsCoconut Mango Crusted Tilapia
Funky Fingers & FriesMini Corn Dogs & Fries
Shrimpy shrimp & FriesCheesy Burger & Fries
Penne PastaKraft r Mac-n-Cheese
Chocolate Chip PancakesFrench Toast Sticks
BLT ClubTuna MMelelttt
BuBuBuffff lalaloo CCCChChicickekenItItalaliaiann CaCaliliffChChiicFrFrieTTuGoGoBHG
Funky Minii CCoo
ShShririmpmpy y sSSsy BurChCheesy Bur
PePeP nnnne e PPa tstaKrKrKraffaftt t rr MaMac-c-nn
ChChhChococo ollolatattee ChChChiipip PPnnnchhchc TTToaaoasttsts SSSttiti kckck
Fun Things to Eat at
Kids Omelet Midwestern Ome
Super Macho Chicken NachoSloppy NachosCheesy BreadBabycakes (Crabcakes)Disco FriesBuffalo Chicken FlatbreadTuscanBuffalo FriesJumbo Buffalo WINGSBuffalo FingersBuffalo ShrimpVeggie WingsBuffalo ChickwichChicken ClubwichChicken SlammerItalianoStallionBuffalo GrillerPortagrillerMonterrey GrillerBacon Cheddar BurgerCalifornia Turkey BurgerBlack & Blue BurgerKobe BurgerPork BurgerDragon BurgerBuffalo Chicken Cheese SteakFinger Lickin Chicken SteakMushroom SteakBBQ Bacon SteakBCW (Buffalo Chicken Wrap)West Coast WrapBaja WrapChicken Caesar WrapFat CheggFrench DipCrabcake SandwichCarolina Pulled PorkFish BurritoOur Famous ReubenReally Happy WaitressTurkey Club
Open 7 Days 24 hours B207 N. Bay Ave. Beach Haven 609-492-F
s Bs BB
Voted one Best Break
24 hour222244444 hhhhhhhhhoouuurr22244444 hhhhhhhhoouuurrsrsrs
Best Wings,Metro Media
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 25
Award Winning BreakfastLegendary Buff alo Wings
Homestyle DinnersWing Night
Wednesdays4pm - 9pm
Early Bird Specials
Served DailyMust Be
Seated By 6pm
Large Selection of Entres including
Prime Rib, Crabcakes, Pot Pie
o OmeletChicken Omelet
lator OmeletUltimate Omeletld Your Own Ome
uscany OmeletLoaded Potato O
rGoshdarnwichPorkwichDixiewichEgg HoagieSteak & EggsVery Berry Panc
Sausage Gravy Over Buttermilk Biscuits
Blueberry Walnut Pancakes
Bagels and LoxCinnamon Roll F
Stuffed French Toast
Waf e SundaeBananas Foster
Farmhouse Scramble Melt
Burrito GorditoBreakfast Ques
Yogurt ParfaitCreamed Chip Be
The Hungry Man
The Local Yolkal DESSERTSCinnamon Roll Ice Cream SandwichFudge Brownie Sundae
Crme BruleeAmazing Apple Cobbler
Breakfast AnytimeFOWL (3695) www.492fowl.com
7of the kfast
Voted the Best
Best of Shore, Philadelphia Magazine
Best of The Shore
Wings,South Jersey Magazine
NJ Monthly Magazine
26 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
40. Hang around under the Causeway bridges. Its cool under there, literally always shady and usually sporting a nice breeze. The Big Bridge is a bit eerie when viewed from below. Its architectural quaintness is easily seen, a tribute to its designer, Dorland Henderson.
41. Rent a motorboat; forget the rowing thing. Rent a little putt-putt and have a bay blast just scooting around. Always ask the boat rental folks for tips and advisories. By the by, while its tempting to jump overboard to grab some clams, you still need a license.
42. Rent a kayak. Forget the motoring thing. 43. Go parasailing. Its a cosmic cruise that you wont want to end.
44. Plant a plant. Place a small perennial in the ground to commemorate a given summer. Its eco-kind to make it an indigenous species.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 27
45. Go off the menu. Hit your favorite restaurant with a meal idea of your own. Dont make it outlandish, just a fun variation on a regular menu favorite.
46. Fly a kite. This is best done after-hours, i.e. late afternoon, when winds are often honking from the south. If youre an advanced kiter, try a two- sted model. A bit of pre-training is helpful, via YouTube.
47. Go night-spotting in the shallows. With the latest ultra-high-intensity ashlights and spotlights, its never been easier to wade the bay after dark. Its a whole different world.
Make sure to look for smaller items suspended in the water and the light beam. An assortment of twisty worms can often be seen dancing around.
48. Get the kids to do sandscape art. On thick paper or cardboard, take a squeeze bottle of glue and shape out any patterns that come to mind. Then sprinkle on the sand. Allow some drying time in the sun speeds things up. Pour off the grains and voila! Take it up an adult notch: Use resin and wood and make sand signs, such as Shower and Wipe Your Feet.
49. Bead it. This evening or rainy-day necklacy pastime
28 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
The Road To Fun Begins WithThe Road To Fun Begins With
Sales RentalsSales Rentals
The MLS At Your FingertipsThe MLS At Your Fingertips
www.BayshoreRealty.comwww.BayshoreRealty.comTuckerton - 296-7111 Little Egg Harbor - 296-3100 Tuckerton - 296-7111 Little Egg Harbor - 296-3100
Ship Bottom - 494-6622 Beach Haven - 492-3100 Ship Bottom - 494-6622 Beach Haven - 492-3100 Stafford Area - 597-1183Stafford Area - 597-1183
OUR PEOPLE MAKE THE DIFFERENCE
has become a full-blown tradition as a shore activity. Adjunct: Make a pendant out of beach nds.
50. Carry on with karaoke. Its bigger than ever. Practice at home, hit the karaoke bars and wait for the calls to come in from recording studios.
51. Stand up for some paddling. Stand-up paddling is easily mastered. Minutes after mastering, it allows for an amazing look at bayside and even oceanic surroundings. Whats more, it also offers a great look at whats down below, especially when youre wearing Polaroid sunglasses. Might want to use neck straps for those sunglasses.
52. Lap it up. This is the year you nally try some jetty-to-jetty laps in the ocean, right near the beach. Dubbed the best overall exercise, bar none, it is not even remotely cheating to use swim ns. In fact, ns can enhance the ankle- and calf-muscle workout. If lifeguards are on and ags are up
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 29
LBI Sur ng LessonsThe Original & Still the Best
Group Clinics & Private Lessons No Experience Necessary Coed Team of Instructors Surfboard & Wetsuits Provided FREE
Free Of cial Camp Shirt
with your 1st Lessonwhen you present
Paddle BoardingSurf Yoga Day
Surf Day Campswww.lbisur ng.com
Voted #1 Sur ng Schoolon the Jersey Shore609-494
SURF7 8 7 3
NSTA Certi edInstructors
keep the north-south swim inside those markers. Add swimming glasses or goggles to see whats swimming down below. Or not
53. Classic: Come out of cool ocean water and run up to hit the dry sand near the dunes. Lie in it. Roll in it, if so inclined. Rinse off. Repeat.
So some beachgoers think youre a bit crazy. Its one of those Dont knock it until you try it things.
54. Take in the quaint Long Beach Island Historical Museum in Beach Haven. Its got the consummate eelgrass-roots feel. See http://www.lbimuseum.org/.
30 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
www.boulevardclams.com OPEN DAILY20th & Boulevard Surf City 494-9494
NJ CERTIFIED CLAM DEALER #NJ12SS
Fresh Wild, Farm Raised,
Domestic, Imported &
Local SeafoodLive LobsterMako Shark
Wild salmon33 Years of Our Family Serving Your Family!
Eat In or Take Out
Steamed, Broiled, Fried
Buckets to Go
Steamed & Live Crabs by Dozen
Whole Body Fried Clams
NEW ENGLAND STYLE
Lobster rollsClam rolls
Celebrating 33 Ye
Become a FACEBOOK Friend
Earrings BuyOne Get One
create your own jewelry
Kids Kamp: 9:30am M-FTween Class: 7:00pm M-F
Adult Workshop: 3:00pm DailyBead b/f Happy Hour: 4:30pm - 6:30pm Thurs.
All Jewelry Made On LBI
Come In Any Time & We Can Help YouCome In Any Time & We Can Help YouCreate Beautiful Simple Beaded Jewelry!Create Beautiful Simple Beaded Jewelry!
1305 LB Blvd.N. Beach Haven
1616 LB Blvd.Surf City
Kids ClassesAdult Workshops
55. Take an organized bird-watching tour. Sure, you can do it all alone and see many wonders of the avian world, this area being one of the best birding locales in the country. However, having an expert IDing the subtlest of
feathery sightings allows ones bird knowledge to take off.
56. Knit one, stitch two or three or more. Knitting has re-exploded on the scene. Settle in on the beach to perfect the time-tested cloth-making method. And its sure not just for fuddy-duddies any more. Check for lessons or tap into the knowledge of anyone you see knitting away.
57. Take in an East Coast Boat Racing Club race, many of which are held locally through the summer. There is some serious speed on display during these races, formerly known as garvey races. Details at www.ecbrcnj.com.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 31
5x7 -8x10-11x14 Photo Enlargements5x7 -8x10-11x14 Photo Enlargements
Voted the BestRental in LBI
RT. 72 WAVERUNNER & KAYAK RENTALS Gift Certi cates
Must be 16 to operate (with ID)
& Parents Consent
$500 OFFRiding Time
With Coupon Excluding Holidays
Located next to Bonnett Island Estates
On the Causeway Cedar Bonnet Island
Across from Dutchmans on the Water
Open 9am - 7pm - 7 Days
130 HP Sea
BEST RATES GUARANTEED
58. Putt around like we did last summer and the summer before, back 50 years or more. Miniature golf is arguably the Islands most classic of classic fun things. Its tough to say why its such a nostalgic high point hereabout. It just is. And though weve lost quite a few courses
through the years, there are still some excellent ones left, even a brand new one in Surf City.
59. C r u i s e B a r n e g a t Light. The north end sometimes seems to be the quiet end and it doesnt mind that distinction
but its a prime destination. From the most visited state park in Jersey, home to Old Barney, to some of the most active recreational and commercial shing docks on the coast, Barnegat Light is a feast for sightseers eyes. Biking the town is especially cool. If you like seafood, thank a commercial sherman up that way.
32 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Coastal Consignment& Salvage Co.
492-9400511 North Bay Ave., Beach Haven
s'IFTS s#LOTHING s!CCESSORIES s!NTIQUES#OLLECTIBLES s(OME$ECOR
New Items Arriving Daily
Over 100 Varieties of Cheese
494-463018th & Blvd., Surf City
Open Daily 9am-6pm
Jams & Jellies
Fresh Roasted Coffee Beans
And So Much More
Voted #1 Gourmet
Shop on LBI
Were Not Just Cheese...
60. Get married. OK, so that truly stretches the fun things concept a bit, but LBI has actually become wedding central. It is also home to famed wedding and civil
union of ciant Deborah Whitcraft.
61. Take in Alliance for a Living Oceans kayak tours, seining adventures and puppet shows. Check in at http://www.livingocean.org/.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 33
Fun Comfort StyleResortwear By:
Gretchen ScottICanToo Luna LuzWallaroo Chalet
Neon BuddhaPure Handknit
Open Daily at 10amSCHOONERS WHARF
325 NINTH STREETBEACH HAVEN 609-492-4455
LBIs Only Self Serve REAL Frozen Yogurt BarFantastically Delicious & Nut Free Baked Goods
YOURE GONNA LOVE USYOURE GONNA LOVE US14 South Bay Ave., Across from Murphys, Beach Haven
62. Go artsy. LBI is loaded with studios, many hosting works by the areas nest.
63. Build an entire day around the Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences in Loveladies. Maybe begin at http://www.lbifoundation.org/. With its
aim to Enlighten, Educate, Stimulate and Foster, there are widely varied sights and activities meant for one and all. Take a contemplative chunk of time to closely admire world-famous sculptor Boris Blais War Memorial plaque. Blai founded LBIF in 1948.
64. Check in with the Ocean County Department of Parks and Recreation via its on-line brochure at http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/ocparks/. Many activities are in this nape of the coast. Especially cool are the outdoor free concerts held at different LBI locations.
34 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Pontoon Boats Waverunners Waverunners Kayaks Kayaks Skiis Skiis
LLLLLLL NNENENEWW Pontoon Boa Pontoon BoaHolgate H2O SportsHolgate H2O Sports
$5.00 OFFRiding Time
BOOK YOURSUNSET TOURS
83 Tebco Terrace at Holgate Marina(3 Miles South of Fantasy Island)
LBIS most experienced OCEANFRONT Parasail Operator!
Lighthouse Marina6th and Bay, Barnegat Light, NJ
Must present this ad at time of purchase for discount. Discount
good for entire group.
65. Go wakeboarding. Check around local marinas for whos hosting these high-spray, high-speed bayside jaunts.
66. Hang out on a party shoal. There are some bayside shallows near Barnegat Inlet where
the coolest of boating people hang. Equally hot, in a cool way, is the oft packed-full gathering area off bayside Ship Bottom, just south of the boroughs boat launch. Kayaks, canoes and paddleboards are always invited to shoal parties.
67. Classic: Get up way before dawn and hit the beach for a sunrise admiration session. Bring a sleeping bag. No big deal if shooting stars put you to sleep before the sun actually shows itself. And its best to lie out well up near the dune fencing to avoid any mechanical beach manicuring being done in those wee hours.
68. If you nd yourself in one of summers sudden downpours, go biking (or kayaking) through the instantaneous lakes that well up on many streets. Just grease the bike chains and gears when done.
69. Gather LBI brochures, postcards and such. Clip out tiny pictures and make a big collage of the Island. (Suggested by 10-year old Donna M.)
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 35
Authorized Parts & ServiceRegional Service Provider
James Hardie SidingRegional Installer
BUILDER s CON T RACT OR LLC
For All Your Shore Home Needs!CUSTOM HOMES & ADDITIONS
302 Long Beach Blvd., Ship Bottom, NJ 08008609 494-6020
www.araitken.comNJ Business Reg.# 0720411 New Home Warranty Reg.# 028581 NJ Home Improvement Reg.# 13VH01111900
General Home Maintenance
70. ALWAYS KINDA FUN: Make a drip castle in the sand, using wet, drippy sand ngered out of a red, plastic bucket. Buckets of other hues can be substituted in a crunch.
71. Pile on eelgrass wigs and take a family photo.
72. Reading is cool, literally. Hit the Island library on a hot, overly-sunny day and soak in the words.
73. Weave phragmites leaves/fronds into mats or balls. Dozens of how-tos are on YouTube.
74. Learn knots. Functional and fun. Use rope. Its better not to start with shing line, even though thats where many knots will come in handiest. Numerous books and videos show exactly how to wind and intertwine to create knots from a sheeps bend to a hangmans. Try em all and perfect a couple.
36 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
s Alexander DollsCalico CrittersSm
Japanese ErasersPlushGroovy GirlsKlutzCraft KitsPre-School
hobbies&toyshobbies toys&LBIs FavoriteToy StoreSince 1976
Free Gift WrappingOPEN ALL YEAR
22nd & Long Beach Blvd.Ship Bottom, NJ609-494-7228
SUP Paddleboarding & Sur ng Lessons
The Original & Still the Best
Lessons Private & Group Tours Rentals Surf Lessons Camp
Yoga and Paddleboarding
DayCall for details!
Voted #1 Sur ng Schoolon the Jersey Shore609-494
SURF7 8 7 3
Womens Fun in the Sun Fitness Classes
(Beginner & Intermediate Levels)
75. Facebook from the beach. Just another extension of the headlong rush to real-time reality exchanges. Obviously photos are essential. Out come the always-fun cell phones yet again.
76. Go wild with shades. Sunglasses are essential, but they can also be an out-there fashion statement. Get the funkiest look possible. You earned it by being so laid back all winter.
77. Write a piece for the papers. Publications such as The SandPaper frequently publish creative pieces based on life and times on LBI.
78. Combine sand, seaweed and otsam into beach art, be it freeform or classic looks.
79. FLASHBACK FUN: Inner tube it. There are still good old, black-rubber tire tubes oating around. Give one a oat-about.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 37
80. Learn to surf. Some of the coasts top waveriding instructors are on LBI. Many will start with soft boards. Its never been easier to learn this challenging sport.
81. Take shing lessons. Yep, some tackle shops now give angling instructions, especially for kids.
82. Get crabby. Hit a favorite shery, buy bushels of blue crabs, seasoned and steamed. Spread newspapers out as a tablecloth and get crackin. It makes for an entire evening of pickin and partyin. Add some juicy Jersey corn, and casual dining gets no ner.
38 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
83. Go to the end of the Boulevard in Holgate, park, and check out the AC skyline to the south. So close, but worlds apart.
84. Hit a bay swimming beach. Its quite cool late in the afternoon. The shallow water makes it perfect for the younguns. Plus, the water is often way warmer than the ocean. Badges required, though.
85. Casually walk the strip (Bay Avenue) in Beach Haven, day or night. Be ready to make a slew of shop stops. Also, take some side roads in the middle of town, i.e. Centre Street. Go bayward or oceanward. Tons to see.
86. Follow all the happenings at Long Beach Township Bayside Park. There are
programs of every sort, highlighted by checking out the calendar at www.longbeachtownship.com.
87. Gather earshots. Lying around a crowded beach, hang your ear out to pick up odd and out-there comments from nearby folks. Jot down the best of them. Once youre tuned to the prattle, it becomes fascinating how others think and speak.
88. Take in a way late-night LBI restaurant or diner. The Islands partying crew settles in. An odd energy arrives. And try the home fries. Excellent.
89. Get summer past-ish via the DVD player. Rent the likes of Beach Party, Muscle Beach Party, Bikini Beach, Pajama Beach,
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 39
Beach Blanket Bingo and, if you can nd it, The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini.
90. Have a helluva half-shell time. It gets no more classic than buying a huge batch of bivalves, mainly clams of many sizes, and oysters. Assign an opener, and cocktail down to bursting point.
91. It should go without saying that barbecuing and summer fun are kissin cousins. On LBI, everything is BBQ-worthy, from meats to seafood to veggies to even fruits. BBQed pears shine in light wine.
92. Cruise to AC. Hey, why not take a day off to see how the other side lives down in that particular Worlds Playground? Its a fun sojourn, and getting back to LBIs quietude is sweeter yet.
93. Do the ice cream circuit. Jot down a list of all the Islands frozen confectionary venues. Be it in one solid gut-busting run or politely spread over many days, visit every parlor or stand, always trying the
newest and oddest the establishments have to offer.
94. Learn the skies. Every cloud has a name, be it cumulo, nimbo, strato, cirro or any combinations thereof. There are book and apps to lead the ID way. Just make special care when IDing cumulonimbus clouds.
95. Seek out steals. LBI has become famous for its weekend garage sales. Chasing them down offers a remote chance of nding a priceless Island artifact, being sold for a quarter no less, and its also a perfect way to see some streets and sectors never visited before.
40 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
96. When garage sales cant ll the collectibles bill, there are a goodly number of antique and collectible shops specializing in local, maritime and coastal minutiae.
97. Sleep on a deck. Slide into a sleeping bag on a lounger and dedicate an entire night to absorbing the great outside. If you look closely into the night skies, youll likely see the ghostlike images of the many night birds cruising about. Youll also be amazed at how early gulls wake up.
98. Blog your LBI time away then offer to one and all. Its a big step beyond ash phrases on Twitter and Facebook. Openly interpret and meticulously write down all the phases of an Island day, suitable for framing. Go blogacious. Farm it out through larger write-bites on the Internet.
99. Sur ight Theatre. Its as off-Broadway as it gets and also as good as it gets. This Beach Haven landmark is a must-see in every sense. The talent is of the highest order, and the surroundings are pure LBI. Check http://www.sur ight.org/.
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 41
20 Fun Things to Do on the Mainland
1. Take sleepy, scenic Route 9 down to Tuckerton and visit the Tuckerton Seaport, a re-created maritime village that makes learning about local history fun. The Seaport is located at 120 West Main St., across from the lake. Climb the re-created Tuckers Island Lighthouse. Admission is $8 for adults, $6 for seniors, and $3 for children ages 6 to 12. The Seaport is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2. Starting July 13, nd free Friday night concerts sponsored by the Tuckerton Pride and Celebration Committee and the Tuckerton Seaport. These are held in the Seaport band shell from 6:30 to 8 p.m. and dont cost a dime. On July 13, the Basement Musicians bring superb musicianship to favorite country and western tunes. Acoustic LBI musician Nick Kosar sings cover and original tunes on July 20. The Billy Walton Band revs up with hard-driving rock n roll on July 27; be prepared to dance. The Pickles, three friends on a mission to be silly while singing, perform Aug. 3. Sweeter than Honey performs classic rock n roll on Aug. 10. The Angeltones bring back the oldies on Aug. 17. Rave On, a good listening band, plays on Aug. 24. Bring a lawn chair and your nonalcoholic beverages to these fun community concerts.
3. Enjoy clams, oysters, scallops and shrimp fresh from local seafood markets during the two-day Baymens Seafood and Music Festival, June 23 and 24, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., presented by the Jersey Shore
Folklife Center at the Tuckerton Seaport. Family activities include carving and boat-building demonstrations, crafters, vendors, music, food and fun. Voted one of the Top 10 N.J. Outdoor Festivals by NJ Countryside Magazine. Call the Seaport at 609-296-8868 for information.
4. The annual Red Wine and Blues Festival is planned for June 30 from 3 to 8 p.m. at the Seaport. Enjoy a tranquil evening on the boardwalk along Tuckerton Creek and sample wine from some of New Jerseys nest wineries. Live blues music complements the mood. Crafters, vendors, food and boat rides. Special admission may apply; call 609-296-8868.
5. Roll up your pack of cigs in your T-shirt sleeve and join Wicked Rides car club for its Cruise Nights at Stewarts Root Beer in Tuckerton. The car club members cluster around their chromium-plated carburetors for some great car talk. You can join in while slurping up a softy cone along the banks of Tuckerton Creek. They rev their engines the rst and third Sunday evenings of the summer months from 6 to 10 oclock.
6. The little salt creeks of West Creek Dock Road are waiting for the explorer in you, but if you didnt have room to pack the kayak, no worries. West Creek Kayak and Canoe has them for rent on Dock Road in Eagleswood. You can drift with the tide to Barnegat Bay and back all day long. Call 609-296-3030. Prefer a wider body of water? Then take a ride down Great Bay
42 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Boulevard, also known as Seven Bridges Road, in Little Egg Harbor to Captain Mikes Marina to rent a kayak and paddle Great Bay to the old sh factory. Call 609-296- 4406. Have your own kayak? Then oat your way down any of the salt creeks; just remember to wear a life preserver and always leave a oat plan of where you will be with someone on shore.
7. At the end of Seven Bridges Road (and we dont know if Springsteen has ever been here for sure), youll see the Old Coast Guard Station. Its now home to the Rutgers Marine Institute, and though they open to the public only once a year, its a pretty sight at sunset. A ruined factory to the left of the marshes is The Old Fish Factory, where menhaden or bunker used to be turned into fertilizer. The ghosts of countless schools of the oily sh are said to haunt the island.
8. Want to know more about railroading in southern New Jersey? Or how about the origins of those mysterious concrete blocks in Mystic Islands? (They used to anchor the Tuckerton Wireless, once considered the second tallest structure in the world after the Eiffel Tower.) Documents at the Giffordtown Schoolhouse Museum, corner of Wisteria Lane and Leitz Boulevard in Tuckerton, have many answers to the history of the original Clam Town. The museum is open Saturday afternoon from 2 to 4 oclock and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 609-294-1547.
9. Farther down Route 9 from Tuckerton, take a right at Stage Road and follow the old stage coach road that used to connect the Revolutionary towns of Tuckerton and New Gretna to Batsto and eventually Camden. Not 15 minutes from Tuckerton, nd Bass River State Park, where for a fee you can swim in the cool, cedar water of Lake Absegami. The soft, brown water is colored from the tannins in the cedar and oak forest the streams run through. There is a wooden boardwalk through a cedar swamp, and
maybe youll nd a carnivorous pitcher plant growing on the banks. Ask a forest ranger. There are campsites and cabins for rent. Call 609-296-1114 for special free programs and information.
10. If youre willing to travel farther yet on the old Stage Road through the pines from Tuckerton, visit Batsto State Park and the Batsto Mansion, where cannon balls were forged out of bog iron and used to ght the British in the Revolutionary War. The park has a terri c visitors interpretive center that tells the story. The mansion is also open weekends for tours, but call ahead for tickets and more information: 609-561-0024.
11. Ever heard of the Batona Trail? Its 50 miles of hiking trail through the Pine Barrens and some of the forgotten towns of South Jersey. The trail is marked with pink blazes, and several major roads intersect it, making it easy to plan hikes of various lengths. You can pick it up at Bass River State Park and Batsto State Park. Better be hearty hikers, though; the pinelands get hot like a desert.
12. OK, turn around and head north on Route 9. Cool off on a bayside beach at the end of Parkertown Dock Road. Any of the three Dock Roads off Route 9: Parkertown, West Creek or Cedar Run Dock Road all end at the bay, and all have free boat ramps for your kayak, waverunner or boat. Just respect the bay, please, and stay out of
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 43
small creeks with those Wave Runners. These areas are also good crabbing spots. All you need is a string, a net and bait.
13. In Manahawkin, pop into the Pine Shores Art Association at 94 Stafford Ave. on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons and view artwork by local artists. Pine Shores also offers classes and workshops. Call 609-597-3557 or visit www.pineshoresartassociation.org.
14. The Stafford Township Historical Society is sponsoring eight free concerts through August on Monday nights starting July 9 at 7 p.m. at the Manahawkin Lake Park Pavilion. First on the lineup is the Brass Tacks Orchestra, a swing band with lots of big band memories to share. The Manahawkin Lake Pavilion is located on the northeast shore of the lake off Route 9, north of downtown Manahawkin and the intersection of Route 72. Parking is available at the Old Baptist Church as well as at A. Paul King County Park, which is connected by a walkway over the spillway. Some bleachers will be set up for the concert, but bring a lawn chair and dont forget the bug spray.
15. Community theater is alive and well on the mainland. Steve Steiner, formerly artistic director of the Sur ight Theater on LBI, has started the Professional Ocean Theatre Co. with performances of Titanic the Musical, Gypsy and more, plus childrens theater in the Barnegat High School auditorium. Find the listing on www.oceantheatre.org or call 609-312-8306 for tickets and more information.
16. Every Thursday through September, the Barnegat Township Farm Market sets up in the middle of town. Find booths with Jersey Fresh home-grown seasonal produce, herbs, owers, breads and cheeses, pasta and even sh. The market goes on from noon to 5 p.m. on the corner of Route 9 and East Bay Avenue. Call 609-698-0080, extension 122 for more
17. Barnegat Township offers free Summer Dock Concerts at the Barnegat Municipal Dock Saturday nights at 7 p.m. starting July 31 with The Kootz; Aug. 7, Voodudes; Aug. 14, the Jersey Surecats; that popular TBA, on Aug. 21; The Hi-Fives on Aug. 28; and Sounds of the Street on Sept. 4.
18. Bring your bikes or just your sneakers as you bike or hike the Barnegat Branch Rail Trail that follows the roadbed of the former Jersey Central Railroad. The trail begins on Bay Avenue in Barnegat and goes for 2.7 miles to Pancoast Road in Waretown. Connecting segments to more of the trail are under construction.
19. Itching to hear some good old pinelands music? Its like bluegrass and country with a dose of regional quirkiness. The Albert Music Hall opens its doors at 7:30 p.m. every Saturday with a full lineup of six or more talented groups for the insanely low admission price of $5. Tap your toes and slap your thighs the music continues till 11:30 at night. If you play a stringed instrument or like to sing, head over to the pickin shed and hang out for free. Albert Music Hall is located in Waretown; call 609-971-1593 or visit www.alberthall.org.
20. Visit Popcorn Park Zoo off Lacey Road in Forked River and view rescued exotic and farm animals. The park, located in the pines, has become a caring forever home to these once-abused, abandoned or injured animals. See African lions, tigers, a camel, Australian wallabies, a black bear and many more domestic farm and exotic animals. Popcorn is available to feed the free-ranging chickens and peacocks and some farm animals. Admission of $5 helps with the upkeep of the park. Seniors and children younger than 12, $4; children younger than 3 are free. Call 609-693-1900 for directions; the gates are open from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
44 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
Scratch & D
$40. 00 OFF Any PurchaseW
491 Route 9, West Creek, NJ 609-296-7889
wn Appliance C
enter Since 1968
Carpet & U
pholstery CleaningLong B
ont Risk Steam
ong Beach Island
700 Sq. Ft.D
oes Not Include Stairs
Heavily Soiled Areas Extra
Traf c Area Specials
10% Off Parts & LaborExpires 6/10/13
Rt. 72 & Mill Creek Rd., Manahawkin 597-3815
it one coupon per customer
ot valid with any other offer. Expires 6/30/13
If You Enjoy Your Summ
ot and Steamy....
Present This Coupon For A Free Recycled Glass M
S. Bay A
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 45
46 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI | 2012
INDEX TO ADVERTISERS A. Richard Aitken Jr. Builder-Contractor ............................35Barrys Do Me a Flavor ........................ 14Bay Village ........................................ 18, 19 Bay Village Pizza Cool Beans Gourmet Coffee Caf Crust & Crumb Bakery Craft Market Gallery Indian Summer The Parlor Personality Readings by Lisa Song of the Sea Surf Shack South Surf Shack South Sunglasses The WindmillBayShore Agency ..................................28Beach Haven Watersports .....................8Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream .......................37Bistro 14 .....................................................6Blue Heron Pines Golf Club ................29Blue Water Caf .....................................11Boardwalk of LBI ....................................9Boulevard Clams ...................................30Buccaneer Motel ....................................13California Grill & Pizza .......................11The Cheese Shoppe ..............................32The Chicken or the Egg .................24, 25Coastal Consignment & Salvage Co. .....................................32The Dockside Diner ..............................11Fantasy Island Amusement Park .......48Farias Surf & Sport ................................3Fisheads...................................................16The Haymarket Hobbies & Toys ........36Holgate H20 Sports ................................34Island Arts ..............................................31Just Bead It ..............................................30LBI Hot Springs .....................................12
LBI Parasail .............................................34LBI Surf Lessons ........................ 13, 29, 36Mr. Tees ..................................................15Panzones Pizza & Pasta ........................5Philly Pretzel Factory .............................4Pine Shores Art Association ...............39Route 72 Waverunner & Kayak Rentals ....................................31Schooners Wharf ..................................21 Alisons Wonderland Coconuts The Gazebo Restaurant The Gazebo Sushi Bar Jenna JanesShip Bottom Marine Center ................10Sink r Swim Shop .................................17Stefanos Seafood & Pasta ....................11Surf City Marina .....................................2SwellColors Glass Studio & Art Gallery .....................................37Tropics .....................................................33Yo Babycakes ..........................................33
Yoga Nine ...............................................23
Coupons ......................................44, 45, 47 AAAA Aaron Repair Service LLC Anchor Appliance Barnegat Light Plumbing & Builders Bay Village Pizza The Haymarket Hobbies & Toys Hot or Not Yoga Kaplers Pharmacy Long Beach ChemDry Manahawkin Shell Service Center Ocean Family Dental Pangaea Naturals Health Food Market Quality Tire & Auto Care Regenerate Rinnai
2012 | 99 Ways to Have Fun on LBI 47
n To O
FUN RIDESBOARDWALK GAMES
Hundreds of games, thousands of prizes,Open year round
Summertime MagicStar Spangled Magic
Brainwash Game ShowMagical Christmas Show
Surfs Up SpectacularReptile World
ENTERTAINMENTALL SUMMER LONG
Fantasy Island Amusement ParkAmusement Park
Arcade open year roundRides open in season
Free parkingATM on premises
Honor Our Honor Our TroopsTroops
Have Your Special Birthday Party Here at Fantasy Island
Delicious new menu featuring
our crabby burger and our
famous Island kids meal
320 7th St. Beach Haven609-492-4000
Visit Our website for our Visit Our website for our annual Pre-season Token Sale. annual Pre-season Token Sale.
Coming Spring of 2013!Coming Spring of 2013!