The present document can't read!
Please download to view
Please download to view
The best digital campaigns of 2012
Download The best digital campaigns of 2012
- 1!1!LaMercatique ! THE BEST DIGITAL CAMPAIGNS OF 2012! Pi ctu re fr om “W ill it b len d? ” ( Bl en dt ec )! Includ ing � THE� recipe for vir al� Grégory Pouy! [email protected]! @gregfromparis! !
- 2!LaMercatique! WANT TO MAKE IT BIG ON THE WEB?! 8! , 5! 2! 3!4! , 9! 9! 9!4! VIEW COUNTER!
- 3!LaMercatique! 2012 VIRAL PHENOMENA! (let’s get this thing started)�
- 4!LaMercatique! KONY 2012: MAKE A VIRAL VIDEO TO BRING A KNOWN MURDERER TO LIGHT!1! Kony was THE phenomenon of the first part of the year:! - A 30-minute video! - Real and straightforward! - Quickly obtained thousands of millions of views ! - One of the most talked-about movies of the year! Kony was controversial and sparked many video responses.!
- 5!LaMercatique! GANGNAM STYLE: THE MOST-VIEWED VIDEO EVER!2! This was the first time an Asian (Korean) song became a hit among westerners (> 805 millions views).! ! Several factors can explain its success:! - A funny, yet easy-to-copy dance! - A lack of copyright that allowed for a multitude of parodies (some of which saw over 10 millions views) > Psy received a % of the revenue generated from each “Gangnam style” parodies’ ads(estimated around $1million).!
- 6!LaMercatique! CALL ME MAYBE!3! You’ve definitely heard this song.! How did a simply written summertime song reach almost 300 millions views (counting only the official video)?! Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez filmed themselves with a bunch of friends singing the song and tweeting about it in January...the catchy sound and lyrics did the rest.! !
- 7!LaMercatique! 2012’S BEST CAMPAIGNS!
- 8!LaMercatique! BEHIND THE SCENES WITH MCDONALD’S! CANADA! MCDONALD’S! PEOPLE WARY OF THE BRAND! CREATE A RELATIONSHIP WITH & REASSURE PEOPLE ! THE QUALITY OF THEIR FOOD! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE! 1!
- 9!LaMercatique! ! ! !BEHIND THE SCENES WITH MCDONALD’S! !CONCEPT:! !Create a new interactive Youtube channel where people can ask anything !and get a response in video form.! ! This transparent position for a brand that is as global as McDonald’s !piqued people’s curiosity.! !RESULTS:! !6,000 questions !! !Over 2 million interactions & an average viewing time of 4 min! # 1! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/oSd0keSj2W8!
- 10!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! People may not always participate in your pre- planned communication program.! They like to respond, however, and when a brand offers transparency - they love it.! These interactions also demonstrate how engaging a brand can be.! ! ! ! # 1! ENGAGEMENT!
- 11!LaMercatique! THE INVISIBLE MERCEDES!# 2! GERMANY! MERCEDES! THE ENTIRE COUNTRY! PROMOTE A NEW DRIVING TECHNOLOGY! THE CAR INDUSTRY’S AD SPEND IS UNRIVALED! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 12!LaMercatique! ! ! !INVISIBLE MERCEDES!#2! !CONCEPT:! !To be honest, the video is disappointing compared to the (real life) !amazing concept that Mercedes developed.! !The idea is simple and broke through to people. After all, who never !dreamed of being invisible when you were little?! ! !RESULTS:! !Over 10 million views, 450 million media impressions! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/zt5AHdQApvg!
- 13!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! Mercedes’s idea was simple yet surprising: we’re used to seeing special effects in movies, but not an actual real-life "trick".! The only downside is that the quality of the video leaves much to be be desired and feels too much like an ad. ! ! # 2! SURPRISE!
- 14!LaMercatique! RED BULL STRATOS!# 3! AUSTRIA! RED BULL! WORLDWIDE ! BRAND EQUITY! THE OPERATION CHALLENGED HUMAN LIMITS! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 15!LaMercatique! ! ! !RED BULL STRATOS! !CONCEPT:! ! Red Bull’s global strategy is centered around creating amazing !branded content.! !This operation set a whole new level of standards for brands.! !! !RESULTS:! !Over 8 million people watched the jump live (beating a precedent ! !record of 500,000) + millions of dollars in the equivalent of media spend! !Estimated cost: $50 million! # 3! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/dOoHArAzdug!
- 16!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! “Courage” is a value that will be soon connected to Red Bull and it’s a label that they’re clearly striving for.! People are fed up with product-centric advertising; they want great content but see a whirlwind of values every day in a multitude of media forms. Brands that offer up value for society make the case for their product like never before.! If executed to plan, viewers share your content because, well, they enjoyed it!! ! ! # 3! SHARED VALUES!
- 17!LaMercatique! SHARE A COKE!# 4! AUSTRALIA! COCA COLA! YOUNG ADULTS! REINFORCE TIES WITH THE BRAND! COCA COLA IS STRUGGLING TO REMAIN TOP OF MIND! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 18!LaMercatique! ! ! !SHARE A COKE! !CONCEPT:! !Coca Cola decided to make the brand about every one of us, using !mass personalization. That is, your name (and then your friend’s and !neighbor’s names) replaced their logo.! ! This was a completly integrated campaign using outdoor, TV, !Social Média, Press, Retail Stores…! !RESULTS:! ! 7% increase in young adult consumption! ! 12 million earned media impressions! # 4! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/2l_WzEdUd0o!
- 19!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! In a consumption-driven society, it’s the details that count – and personal attention. Personalization is a key driver for sales.! Most brands are unable to choose this option, as it is costly and complicated.! If executed well, mass personalization can offer the same attention and details as personalization, with relatively low costs.! # 4! MASS PERSONALIZATION!
- 20!LaMercatique! NIKE FUEL BAND!# 5! U.S.A! NIKE! WORLDWIDE ! `DEVELOPING THE BRAND’S PRODUCT BREADTH! A COMPLETELY NEW PRODUCT CATEGORY! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 21!LaMercatique! ! ! !NIKE FUEL BAND! !CONCEPT :! !The Nike fuel band combined a communications operation with the !launch of an entirely new category of products.! !Nike broadened their product breadth, equally broadening their value !proposition.! ! !RESULTS :! !For Nike, the fuelband was a major solution to their formerly declining !revenue.! ! # 5! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/W8xMurdO4Tk!
- 22!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! The digital space forces brands to rethink their brands’ value propostions.! A sports-centric brand, with the help of a new product, became a health partner and also devised a manner to access data which will allow it to better adress its customers tomorrow. !! # 5! INNOVATE!
- 23!LaMercatique! AMERICAN EXPRESS SHOP SMALL! # 6! U.S.A.! AMERICAN EXPRESS! SMALL BUSINESSES! EMPATHY FOR THE BRAND & INCREASE REVENUES! LOBBYING FOR A WAY TO RELAUNCH THE ECONOMY! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 24!LaMercatique! ! ! !AMERICAN EXPRESS ! ! ! !SHOP SMALL! !CONCEPT:! ! Create and spread a global concept based on helping small !companies sell more and help them use new marketing tools.! !A 360° campaign (even including lobbying).! !! !RESULTS:! !Thousands of companies joined! !2.7 million “likes” on Facebook! !Barack Obama is in the video, saying how amazing the operation is! # 6! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/rIYHjs1vEAo!
- 25!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! American Express has been 100% involved in this project, helping small businesses to increase sales.! ! This has been particularly relevant in crisis economies. Instead of focusing on what they had to offer, they focused on how they could help their clients.! It paid off: both AMEX and their clients saw increased revenues. Who doesn’t love a win-win story?! # 6! BE USEFUL & RELEVANT!
- 26!LaMercatique! THE TRUTH!# 7! U.K.! BODYFORM! WOMEN! DISCUSS A DELICATE SITUATION BROUGHT UP ON FACEBOOK ! WOMEN’S MENSTRUAL PERIODS IS NOT A FUN TOPIC! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 27!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT:! !This video sets itself apart by providing a quick (1-week turnaround) !answer to a comment on Facebook.! !It was funny, unique for the industry, and straight forward. A home run. !! !RESULTS:! ! 3.4 million views! > 5 000 “Likes”! ! ! !THE TRUTH!# 7! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/Bpy75q2DDow!
- 28!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY!# 7! THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX! !! What drove the brand’s message home was delivering content that was unique for the industry. ! They played with classic industry items like having the CEO drink the blue liquid that is typically used to demonstrate sanitary pads’ absorbency, as well as the metaphors used in commercials (roller blading, horse riding..).! Last but not least, this video connected with women – a complicated challenge, given the range of senses of humor of women all over the world.! ! ! !
- 29!LaMercatique! PUSH TO ADD DRAMA!# 8! BELGIUM! TNT! ALL BELGIANS ! INCREASE TNT CHANNEL VIEWERSHIP! SET THEIR TV CHANNELS APART! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 30!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT:! !Create a real-life action scene and film it. ! !The film is funny and shocking, and makes you want to understand !what is going on. ! ! !RESULTS:! !32 million views! !The 3rd most shared ad in the digital advertising world*! !VIDEO: http://bit.ly/HrpsnF!! ! ! !PUSH TO ADD DRAMA!# 8! So ur ce : Un ru ly M ed ia!
- 31!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! !! 2 elements in this video stood out:! Creating an “offline” event that was central to creating a powerful video ad.! The element of surprise that connected participants and viewers and made viewers want to share. ! The brand invested a significant budget in this movie, but it may not have been as effective otherwise.! ! # 8! SURPRISE!
- 32!LaMercatique! BEST JOB!# 9! WORLDWIDE! P&G! WORLDWIDE! CORPORATE FILM ! UNCOVER INSIGHTS FOR THE GROUP! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 33!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT:! ! In 174 years, P&G has never done such a powerful campaign. !Through their sponsorship of the 2012 Olympics, they were able to ! push an emotional tribute to mother worldwide (their key target !audience).! ! The video was launched on Mother’s Day and subtitled in several !languages to extend its reach.! !! !RESULTS:! ! > 10 million views! ! ! !BEST JOB!# 9! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/pV8Yjz97kvc!
- 34!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY!# 9! EMOTION! It is almost impossible not to be touched by this video; we followed these mothers as they went through the emotional rollercoaster of having children training for – and then making – the Olympic Games. Most of us care for our mothers, and could identify with the love and motivation we saw. ! The video reached over 2.5 million views. Including dubbed versions of the video, it reached well over 10 million. ! ! ! !
- 35!LaMercatique! A TRAM APP FOR VISITORS!# 10! SWEDEN! VASTTRAFIK! CITY TRAVELERS! INCREASE PREFERENCE FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION! SPREAD AWARENESS ABOUT THE APP! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 36!LaMercatique! ! ! !A TRAM APP FOR VISITORS! !CONCEPT :! !When you are travelling in an unfamiliar city, having a guide is the !best way to get around. ! ! A mobile app is the best solution for the job (especially when you !don’t have to pay for data…).! !! !RESULTS :! !Unknown! # 10! !VIDEO:http://youtu.be/zUl8c2ItyPk!
- 37!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! !! !! Brands are continually trying to create new concepts, yet being helpful is the best way to connect with people. ! Digital media can help you better deliver your promise in a seamless way. This application, for example, helped people get around more easily without hardly any effort at all.! ! ! ! # 10! USEFUL AND EASY TO USE!
- 38!LaMercatique! UNDERAGE SMOKING!# 11! THAILAND! THAI HEALTH FUNDATION! SMOKERS! INCITE SMOKERS TO QUIT ! BREAKING AN ADDICTIVE HABIT! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 39!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT:! !Countless organizations have started campaigns to get people to quit !smoking.! ! What’s challenging is that everyone is aware of the dangers of !smoking, but it’s incredibly difficult to kick the addiction. Having kids !ask you for a lighter might just change your perception.! !! !RESULTS:! > 1 million views (including videos that were re-posted)! A 40% uptick in phone inquiries at their hotline about quitting! ! ! !UNDERAGE SMOKING!# 11! !VIDEO: http://bit.ly/Kzp7Q6!
- 40!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY!# 11! KIDS ARE VIRAL! You’ve read it before: the web loves cats and babies.! People love watching children, but putting them in a situation that we are not used to seeing was a real shock.! ! !
- 41!LaMercatique! CURATORS OF SWEDEN!# 12! SWEDEN! SWEDISH INSTITUTE! WOMEN! TOURISTS! SHOW SWEDISH CORE VALUES! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 42!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT :! !The first country in the world to hand over its official Twitter account ! to its citizens in order to show the diversity of the Swedish national !character and, in doing so, create the “world’s most democratic Twitter !account”.! ! !RESULTS :! !26,000 new Twitter followers from 120 countries! !21 other countries & cities followed suite and did the same! !PR value estimate : $19.8 million! ! !VIDEO: http://bit.ly/SIZmT5! ! ! ! !CURATORS OF SWEDEN!# 12!
- 43!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! !! The Swedish have been incrediby creative in promoting their country.! A few years ago, they created a song that became viral in a similar manner! This was an never-before-seen and clever way to show what Sweden is really like.! ! ! ! # 12! THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX!
- 44!LaMercatique! WANT MORE? ! HERE ARE A FEW BONUSES! There were many amazing campaigns this year – it would be a shame not to mention a few more. ! The ones to follow may have stuck out less, but still merit your attention.!
- 45!LaMercatique! THE MIND READER!# 1! BELGIUM! SAFE ONLINE BANKING! PEOPLE ONLINE IN BRUSSELS! TEACH THE IMPORTANT POINTS OF ONLINE BANKING! WHO WANTS TO LEARN ABOUT BANKING?! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 46!LaMercatique! ! ! !THE MIND READER! !CONCEPT ! !Instead of repeating a has-been concept, they launched a campaign ! showing how dangerous it can be to share personal information !online and why people should be careful about online banking and !payments.! !! !RESULTS:! !5.7 million views! # 1! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/F7pYHN9iC9I!
- 47!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! !! !! Nowadays, it is easier for people to share information online without thinking about the consequences, yet there is a general awareness about the fear of being stalked. On Facebook, for example, there are more stories that illustrate this every day. ! ! # 1! START WITH BASIC TRUTHS!
- 48!LaMercatique! ODYSSEY!# 2! FRANCE! CARTIER! WORDLWIDE AUDIENCE! SHED A NEW LIGHT ON THE BRAND! CARTIER IS WELL KNOWN BUT "OLD FASHIONED"! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 49!LaMercatique! ! ! !ODYSSEY!# 2! !CONCEPT :! ! Create an amazing “social object” expressing the brand’s value !proposition.! ! Cartier is a brand that communicates its value via unique !experiences. This is exactly what they wanted to communicate with !this video. ! ! Another objective of this video was to express the brand’s French !origins. ! !RESULTS :! !16 million views, only counting the official video.! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/yaBNjTtCxd4!
- 50!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! The clip’s production budget was €6 million, with an ! equivalent budget for media spend. Clearly they !preferred not to leave the success of this campaign to ! chance. In a landscape overloaded with videos of ! varying (but often poor) quality, this video offered a !unique break to see something elegant and beautiful.! # 2! AESTHETICS!
- 51!LaMercatique! PROJECT RE BRIEF!# 3! U.S.A.! COCA COLA! WORLDWIDE ! REIMAGINE A CLASSIC AD FOR THE DIGITAL ERA! USE TECHNOLOGY TO CREATE AN ELEGANT APP! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 52!LaMercatique! ! ! !PROJECT RE BRIEF! !CONCEPT :! Give people the possibility to offer a Coke to anyone in the world via their mobile app. Film the effect and the positive associations created with Coca Cola. ! !! !RESULTS :! !This corporate campaign was not R.O.I. driven but certainly had a !positive impact on brand preference and brand equity.! # 3! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/45Z-GevoYB8!
- 53!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! !! ...never create a campaign that is driven by the technology, itself. Rather, find technology that fits your goals, including extending your brand’s sense of purpose.! The number of mobi le devices is growing exponentially worldwide. Even though this operation could have been carried out using a classic website, the mobile app was a smart use of technology that reinforced the idea that happiness is all around us.! ! ! ! # 3! USE TECHNOLOGY BUT...!
- 54!LaMercatique! YOU ARE BLIND!# !4! RUSSIA! CHARITY FUND FOR BLIND CHILDREN! RUSSIANS WITHOUT SIGHT LOSS! CHANGE THE PERCEPTION OF BLINDNESS! COMMUNICATING WHAT IT MEANS TO BE BLIND! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 55!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT:! ! Offer people the chance to experience what being blind is like for !themselves.! ! They created a game for people to play while blinded – albeit !momentarily – to find out what it’s like to get around (and survive in) !the city. ! !RESULTS:! !Thousands of ideas for changing the city came forward.! !VIDEO: http://bit.ly/SY0Zwr! ! ! !YOU ARE BLIND!# 4!
- 56!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! !! Gamification was widely used last year and is still considered to be one of the most efficient digital marketing techniques, given our natural propensity to play games.! Connecting people that come from the same culture, in theory, yet live very differently, was an effective way to share this idea. ! ! ! # 4! GAMIFICATION!
- 57!LaMercatique! DON’T DO YOUR MAKE UP AND DRIVE!# 5! U.K.! VOLKSWAGEN! WOMEN! DOING YOUR MAKE UP WHILE DRIVING IS DANGEROUS! NUMEROUS CAR ADS FOCUS ON DANGERS WHILE DRIVING! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 58!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT :! !Volkswagen copied a viral hit from 2 years ago (“Embrace Life” from ! SussexSaferRoads) but worked with a famous beauty blogger to !touch women who were familiar with her when she crashed.! ! !RESULTS :! !1.5 million views on the blogger’s Youtube channel! !Several million views including re-postings of the video! ! !VIDEO: http://youtu.be/wMFqSjjnte0! ! ! !DON’T DO YOUR MAKE UP AND DRIVE!# 5!
- 59!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! !! As mentioned in the introduction, shock is a tricky emotion because it may prevent people from sharing a video. In this case, it was used for an important cause and the video’s shock value caught people’s attention. More importantly, it incited people to share the video. Unfortunately, the name of the video gives away what is going to happen.! ! ! # 5! SHOCK!
- 60!LaMercatique! MIX AGAINST AIDS!# 6! BRAZIL! MIX RADIO! BRAZILIAN CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS! PREVENT H.I.V.! YOUNG PEOPLE TYPICALLY IGNORE THIS TYPE OF AD! COUNTRY! BRAND! TARGET AUDIENCE! OBJECTIVE! CHALLENGE!
- 61!LaMercatique! !CONCEPT:! ! A trendy radio station created 2 super hot videos (one featuring a !man, the other a women) and shared them on Facebook. ! !Each time someone new watched the video, they “contaminated” !their !own Facebook wall, with their friends’ pages quickly following suit.! ! !! !RESULTS:! ! 1 million people were reached before Facebook blocked the videos !for breaking Facebook’s rules.! !VIDEO: http://bit.ly/Hhneu4!! ! ! !MIX AGAINST AIDS!# 6!
- 62!LaMercatique! ! ! !KEY TAKEAWAY! ! !! No need for me to insist that sex sells and that it’s viral.! Although this operation explored the limits of what Facebook can accept in terms of shared content (sexy pictures, using a native function of the plaform), this operation was cleverly carried out and spread like wildfire.! # 6! SEX!
- 63!LaMercatique! KEY TAKE AWAYS!
- 64!LaMercatique! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 INTERACTIONS! SURPRISE! SHARING VALUE! MASS PERSONALIZATION! INNOVATE! BE USEFUL & RELEVANT! START WITH BASIC TRUTHS! THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX! KIDS ARE VIRAL! AESTHETICS! USE TECHNOLOGY! 10! 11! GAMIFICATION! SHOCK! SEX!14! 12! 13!
- 65!LaMercatique! Thank you!! Grégory Pouy! [email protected]! @gregfromparis! !